Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Morgan Stewart

  • Day:  108
  • Start:  1426.2
  • End:  1445.8
  • Miles:  19.6
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru Hikers met:  0

  
Western New York from Hosner Mountain, mile 1430.9
  
That tapping sound what is it?  I'm in a groggy state before my alarm goes off, I hear a soft tapping sound on my tent, it's a very light rain.  So I reset my alarm trying to get some more sleep while hoping it will stop.  Happily it stops at 0600 hrs and I'm packed and on the trail by 0630 hrs.  The bugs are out early and in force and they are trying to get me.  I spray repellent but they still torment. I'm close to the bug net, but not yet.  
I arrive at a highway with a deli and grill not far down the road.  I decide to make the trip for a late breakfast. I get the usual, a egg, bacon, cheese on a kaiser roll complemented with coffee and Gatorade.  There is a place to charge my phone and fill my water bottle. 


The Mountain Top Market

After breakfast I've got just 2 miles to complete my first 10 mile section. The trail is fast and I arrive at the Morgan Stewart Shelter for a break and some more water.  The interesting thing about the water here is it come from a pump. 


The hand pump that really works

I meet Phil a hiker who is out for a couple of weeks. Then 2 women arrive with their dog, Rhoan. They are just starting out their AT adventure. They left Bear Mountain and expect to go to  Katadan then flipflop to finish.  Actually this is a normal thing as there are new hikers on the trail just starting out. While we talk great peals of thunder echo off the mountains. I can see the dark clouds not too far away. We all wonder if rain is heading our way.  We all visit a while then I say my best wishes taking my leave. 
After a while on the trail I cross this bridge with a fast moving stream of muddy water   I suspect the thunder shower effected this drainage. 


The rain swollen stream

The sky darkens above me and I can feel the slight threat of rain. Then some drops start, but as I look up I see I'm on the edge of the storm so I hike on away from the clouds.  Perhaps I outran the storm because I didn't get wet. I did come across an attractive little pool the seemed so serene. 


Serenity

I come off the trail to a wide grassy road with a nice lake nearby. As I hike I get closer to Nuclear Lake,  I find a nice spot to rest while enjoying the beautiful lake and watching the afternoon thunderheads grow. 


Nuclear Lake

I'm getting close to my 20 mile mark and there is a shelter just about at that mark. I consider staying here just because of the rain threat. There is good water and a privy, these are always nice features.  Phil shoes up and he is going to tent. I figure I'll stay in the shelter.  The two women, Victoria , Nichole and Rhoan show up and decide to tent as well. 


 The Morgan Stewart Shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.