Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Hottest Day Yet

  • Day:  94
  • Start:  1217.5
  • End:  1244.1
  • Miles:  26.6
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  91
  • Low temp:  68
  • Thru hikers met:  12

  
 
Eastern Pennsylvania view from The Pulpit 

I'm on the trail at 0645 hrs and it's already warm.  The tread is the usual, "gotta keep your eyes on it", rocky terrain.  I come by my first view of the day "Dan's Pulpit", not very expansive really just a peek. 

 
 View of Eastern Pennsylvania from Dan's Pulpit 

By 1100 hrs I stop for a lunch rest and water collection.  I find a nice stream running clean and cold next to a campsite, a good place to relax.  After my break I hike about a half a mile to Hawk Mountain Road to fine some cold drinks in a iced cooler and a camp chair. I decide a rest in a real chair while enjoying something cold is in order.   Upon leaving the trail magic spot I see the trail has widened and thankfully smoothed out. 

Smooth, very nice

I follow this smooth tread uphill for several miles passing about 3 excellent water sources. I meet Tumbleweed, Moxie and their trail angel friend. I saw Tumbleweed and Moxie at the post office yesterday and was delighted as always to see them. They are brother and sister both excellent people. Their positive attitude about life shines through immediately upon meeting them. I always enjoy their company and conversation. They pulled off the trail all the way back at Uncle Johnny's for a spring of weddings. Now they are back and in my hiking bubble. Their trail angel friend offered me a Gatorade, to which I am very thankful. I pull the bottle from her pack realizing it is ice cold.  She had frozen it and there is just s little ice left in the container.  Ice cold Gatorade is a major refreshment especially on this hot day. I bid them a happy hiking day and press on.  The trail comes to this huge rock pile that I have to believe is man made. The pile is the worlds biggest carin. 

 
Just a huge pile of rocks.  There isn't an explanation as to why it's here. 

The tread is now a normal size with some rocks. Then there are more rocks. 

 
Yes the trail builders throught it best to go right through here. 

After some boulder hopping the rocks become small again and I pass "The Pulpit", which has a very nice view from a level group of large rocks.  The temperature in the forest is high, in the sun it's 91 with a "feels like" rating of 97.  The breeze is nonexistent this afternoon so the full extent of the heat is felt.  I end my day walking peacefully along the Schuylkill River watching fish rise to feed. 

 
The Schuylkill River


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.