Sunday, June 18, 2017

Mohican Center

  • Day:  98
  • Start:  1293.6
  • End:  1304.4
  • Miles:  10.8
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  69
  • Thru hikers met:  6

 
Deers Head Inn

Directly next door to the church is the Deers Head Inn. Breakfast is only on the weekends at the Deers Head Inn and is nicely prepared and delicious.  

 
The AT goes through town

On the trail by 0900 hrs, darn late compared to my usual time.  I'm leaving Pennsylvania this morning as I cross the Delaware River. 

 
Interstate 80 crossing the Delaware River

 
New Jersey!
 
 
Into the forest

Right at 1010 hrs the rain starts. I geared up because the rain was serious, thankfully it only lasts about an hour.  The  rocks in this section are polished so with the addition of the rain they are slippery.  I am being very careful about foot placement which is slowing me down a bit. 

 
So with enough rocks and there are plenty of them here, plus some free time people will stack rocks

I arrive at Sun Fish Pond which is more like a lake than a pond.  I understand that the depth of the water plays a determination on whether pond or lake designation. The trail goes right along the shore, offering plenty of nice views. 

 
Sun Fish Pond

 
Another view of the pond

More folks with idle rock stacking time

 After Sun Fish Pond the slippery rocks continue plus as an added challenge the trail has encroaching foliage making it difficult to place my feet because I am unable to see the rocks.  I come to the road to the Mohican Center, which is a lodge and cabins. I am not enjoying the slippery rocks today and the forecast is for more rain through Monday.  I decide to see if the Mohican Center has a place for me. 

 
The store and lodge

 
The dining room and lodge great room. Actually a not a great room but it is darn comfortable. 

Yes they can accommodate me and even feed me. I decide I'll wait out this storm in this convenient place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.