Monday, June 12, 2017

Port Clinton

  • Day:  93
  • Start:  1210.8
  • End:  1217.5
  • Miles:  6.7
  • Hours:  3
  • High temp:  91
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
 
Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad station

So around 0300 hrs I hear what I think is a deer rush into the woods behind me then more disgruntled sounds and stomping. I shine my light but see nothing.  Whatever made the noise stopped after the light.  On the trail at 0530 to beat the heat and make a good day in town. I get an early view to the west so I take a few moments to enjoy it. 

Western Pennsylvania 

Smooth tread then rocks and more rocks.  At one point the trail crosses a dirt road goes into the forest and becomes very rocky, I can look between the trees and see the dirt road parallel to the trail, I have to ask why the punishment. 
The trail drops rapidly into Port Clinton, so rapidly it's ridiculously steep.  At the bottom is the railroad station and many tracks. I cross the tracks and head to town a way that crosses 2 rivers so I can see the confluence. The town is quiet because it's very small and it's only 0830 hrs. The post office opens in this small town at 1230 hrs and there aren't any places to stay here. The closest places to stay are in Hamburg 2 miles away.   I start hiking to Hamburg, about halfway a pickup pulls over offering me a ride.  His name is Steve and he provides local hiker shuttle service.  This is good news now I can get to Walmart and the post office.  Steve drops me at the closest motel in town. Now I can start my chores. 
I want to launder my clothes in hot water because I fear my last laundry place had a dirty washer that left bacteria on my clothes.  I have developed a rash where my pack straps meet my shoulders. I figure this development is new since my last laundry so it might be that.  The permethrin treatment on my clothes will wash away in hot water.  
The good news is there is a Cabalas within walking distance, I can get more permethrin there. 

So it was close but I'm ok

I take my time walking the store because , well it's Cabelas.  When I get back to the motel the desk clerk says please check out the hike box, there in the box is an almost a full container of permethrin.  This means another trip to Cabelas to return my purchase, darn. 
Chores are complete, time for dinner. 

 
Dinner at Red Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.