Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Heat Ratchets Up

  • Day:  92
  • Start:  1186.9
  • End:  1210.8
  • Miles:  23.9
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  90
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  1

 
 
Pennsylvania view to the southeast 

I enjoyed the valley lights last night shining through the trees. This morning I'm on the trail by 0610 hrs. The low last night was 65 and the temperature is already heating up, forecast is 90.  This section of Pennsylvania AT is level, there are some ups and downs but not really much. The real issue is the rocks in the trail.  

 
Lots of the Pennsylvania trail is similar to this 

One big problem with a rocky trail is I don't get a chance to walk and look around. I need to keep a close watch on the tread so I can avoid tripping.   I stop early to get water from a spring .2 off the trail.  It's good cold water directly from the ground. I still filter the water just to remain safe. I pass through a section where the understory is mostly ferns, I enjoy this look.  

 
I like the light coming through the trees

For a while there aren't any rocks, I'm very pleased as I can make good time and enjoy the forest.  I come to a very nice view just south of PA route 501. It's very easy to get to from the road so it's popular among the locals. 

 
My favorite spot today

The afternoon breeze is fickle only occasionally moving cool air through the otherwise still forest.  I keep pressing forward taking a break every hour to refresh myself and enjoy my surroundings.  The trail arrives at a camp site with several nice streams. I collect 2 liters of water as this was my planned source. I enjoy the cold filtered water as I rest under a tree.  I come to my last view of the day The Shower Steps. 

 
Southeast view from the Shower Steps

Not sure why the spot is called the Shower Steps.  I'm feeling the afternoon heat. I focus on my task going into deep concentration just watching the tread, blocking out my discomfort. The trail goes right to the back of a monument. I step around to see what it's for. 

History when our country was small

I continue on gathering another liter of water form a nice stream.  Amazingly the trail is virtually rock free, so I increase my pace to close the last bit of mileage for the day.   I find a dried leaf covered spot under some trees to pitch my tent. It is still so warm with no chance of rain I'm going to leave my rain fly off for air circulation.  While writing this there is an animal snorting and stamping  out of  my view.  I suspect a buck is trying to get me to leave so he can sleep here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.