Thursday, June 8, 2017

Boiling Springs

  • Day:  88
  • Start:  1102.0
  • End:  1121.6
  • Miles:  19.6
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  49
  • Thru hikers met: 3

 
 
AT Museum 

A fine drizzle greets me as I start my day from Pine Grove Furnace State Park.  I gear up and get to hiking at 0630 hrs.  The park is very nice with lots of new restrooms, pavilions, children's equipment, plus a lake.  

 
The park lake has a nice beach in the distance 

 
Going through the park on a very plush AT tread. 

 
A lush rain forest 

 The forest is quiet today the birds see no reason to sing their praise on this rainy day.  

Nice walk along this little stream 

Now I'm out of the improved park

I walk for a while avoiding the moisture laden foliage as best I can. 
As I come to another road crossing I realize there is a small restaurant .25 of a mile up the road. I'm delighted as they are open and serving a fresh breakfast with coffee. I'm able to dry out a bit while enjoying my food 

 
Green Mountain General Store and Grill

The rain has stopped so I can stow my dried rain jacket. I take my leave realizing I'm getting too hot in this place. The cool of the forest is welcoming me back on the trail.  I climb a small grade to find the trail goes through this big rock jumble on top, a favorite of the AT trail bulders. No reward view on top but a challenging rock jumble to scramble through.  I think if I was 10 years old I would love doing this but now I'm saying really?

 

 
It looks simple but there are many more rocky outcrops to manage

Once the rock challenge is completed I descend into a more level forest and then pop out into corn and wheat fields. 

 
New corn

 

 
Ripe wheat

The field walk is very nice and easy going. After a mile of fields I step into a forest buffer and the out into the town of Boiling Springs. The town gets its name from the pure artisan spring water the "boils" out of the ground.  

 
Ancient 1 vehicle bridge built in the 1800s 

The trail crosses a 1 lane bridge into town proper. I'm a little concerned about room for me and a vehicle, it works out fine with plenty of room. 
Iron was a big industry starting in the 1760s and ending in 1895. The iron furnace stand as a reminder of that time. 

 
Early iron furnace

I cross another street to the town lake which is feed by the artisan spring so it is crystal clear. Fly fishing is very big in these pure clear waters. 

 
Another plush AT trail

 
A very nice little town

Conveniently the trail goes right by the post office where I pickup my resupply.  The ATC has a local office right at the end of the lake so I stop there to sort out my resupply. 

 

There is a local hostel owner that provides pickup and delivery included in the $15 stay price.  I grab dinner at the local tavern then relax a bit with a Guinness. Lisa the hostel owner picks me up after dinner. A shower and a bunk,

 
The bunk room

The bunk house 

 I'm tired tonight. Had another good day hiking. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.