Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Fawn Season

  • Day:  87
  • Start:  1082.5
  • End:  1102.0
  • Miles:  19.5
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  58
  • Thru hikers met:  10

 
 It's fawn season

I'm on the trail by 0645 hrs. There are cumulus clouds in the sky keeping the temperature comfortable. Up ahead I see a small animal jump into the grass then slowly lower down. I think it's a bunny, then upon closer inspection I see it's a very young fawn.  She stays compelety still with her universal knowledge that her predators cannot see her until she moves. I take a hasty picture then move on so as not to upset the mom and baby any more than I already have. 

No more, I'm almost halfway. It's done!

 
Robert, Pastor Sandy's husband set this sign

The mountain laurel seems to thrive at this elevation. Today's hike is simply awash in flowers. I'm almost becoming jaded there are some many.  I still find it difficult to capture how huge the bloom is out here. 

 

 
So many of the bushes are like this but throughout the forest

Most of the flowers are white with some light pink accents, however some are more completely pink and they stand out the most. 

 
I know it's a power easement, but it shows the blooms starting all along the cleared area. 

I stop to rest at Birch Run Shelter noting the interior has 8 bunks and a varnished floor.  The PATC volunteers do a very nice job of building shelters.  A little further on the trail goes through a pine forest.  The needles carpet the tread creating a soft walk. 

 
A pine needle carpeted tread

The last shelter I come to today is the Quarry Gap Shelter. There are hanging plants, a covered separate table area, 2 shelters, a bear box (metal lockable box to store food in), and a porch swing. It's like being in someone's backyard. 

 
Hanging plants. 

 
All the comforts of home

Actually it is very nice, when I think about it, they may have over done it a bit as the rustic feel is now lost. 

 
This tree is hosting some interesting fungi

 


 

As I finish my day I notice a small turtle sunning himself on a log. 

 
Sorry it's as close as I could get

Nice day for wildlife, a good tread and pleasant temperatures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.