Sunday, June 25, 2017

New York

  • Day:  103
  • Start:  1353.1
  • End:  1378.0
  • Miles:  24.9
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  77
  • Low temp:  68
  • Thru hikers met:  6

 

Wetlands viewed from the Pochuck boardwalk. 

My camp was close to a residential neighborhood. Last night I could hear dogs barking, people mowing their lawns and smell a barbecue.  After dark everything got quiet so I had a good sleep. 
I'm in the trail at 0530 hrs this morning. I can see a deep orange glow from the east. The light on the trees around me is orange.  The forest is so dense I can only get a small peek at the sunrise, not enough to photograph.  I arrive at a wetlands with a park like boardwalk that is also .9 miles of the AT.  The morning mist is raising as I begin the walk. 


Pochuck boardwalk 

 


Bridge over Pochuck Creek and the end of the boardwalk 

The park like wetlands tour is over when I cross the Pochuck Creek Bridge.  I cross a small section with many bunnies. I can see the wet paw prints on the boardwalk. 


Mr Bunny and his friends have made this area their home. 


Another long boardwalk 

Now I pass through a cow pasture on more boardwalk.   The cows are not in sight but I can tell from their signs and smell this is a cow pasture. 
Now a climb up the 'stairway to heaven', at least that's what it's called on the AT.  The stairway is really a steep climb going over large rocks and large boulders. Halfway up I stop to collect water from a spring. Then to the top for a view. 


View from Pinwheels Vista. 

There was a woman hiking in front of me but she didn't seem to be barring the stairway to heaven.  The view was very nice, I was able to see the obelisk on the New Jersey high point. 
Carrying on the trail is fairly smooth with occasional rocks like a normal trail.  I meet J2 coming out if a shelter. The last time I saw him was when we helped take each other's pictures on McAfee's knob.  Very good to see him again in my hiking sphere. 


Trailside pond

Shortly after meeting J2 I discovered a cooler with some trail magic. The was jugs of water for replenishing water bottles and some beer. 


If it can't be Gatorade this is the next best thing

So I enjoy the beer in about two gulps because I'm thirsty.  Now I cross a road and do a climb to a section of the trail that runs along long slabs of rock. The New York State line is here making yet another state I've passed through. 


The New York / New Jersey state line

The trail continues with the big rocks, some I have to use my hands to climb to the top.  I arrive an American flag that designates the highest point in New York on the AT. 


Prospect Rock the highest point on the AT in New York. 


Prospect Rock view, mile 1366.6. Elevation 1433'

I continue on walking big rocks in the sun.  I am suddenly appreciative of the forest shade. 


Walking very big rocks

Amazingly the trail dips into the co forest and there are 3 white rhododendrons blooming right next to the trail. I'm pleased because I haven't seen a rhodie in a very long time. 


White with a touch of pink

The big rocks continue as a means of creating a trail with virtually no maintenance required. 


I get to walk next to these big rocks instead of climbing on top 

Now some forest walk down to NY route 17A. What is special about this route is just down the road is a creamery that sells their homemade ice cream.  Plus they have a water station and a hiker phone charging station. I relax with Mumbles, Sweeks, and Little Bear while enjoying my cup of coffee ice cream followed by a coffee milk shake. Now I'm cooled down, my phone is charged and I'm watered up. 


Bellvale Creamery 

On the trail there are some more big rocks to master.  Then the trail turns back to a normal trail. 


View from the Eastern Pinnacles lookin Northeast


So I climb up to that little tree


There is a 20' drop on the left side. I feel like I'm in the tree tops. 

I've completed about all the mikes I wanted too so I'm starting to look for a campsite. Finally I locate a level spot under some trees. Some different challenging climbs and rock walks plus a beer and delicious ice cream to make this day a memorable one. 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.