Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Bull's Bridge

  • Day:  109
  • Start:  1445.8
  • End:  1468.0
  • Miles:  22.2
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru Hikers met:  2

 
 
The Dover Oak, the oldest tree on the AT with a diameter of approximately 6 feet and estimated at over 300 years old

I slept in the shelter last night with one other hiker, Hooch. People are reluctant to sleep in the shelters now because of the bugs. The weather seemed cooler so I took a chance and it worked, the bugs disappeared after dark.  So right about dark about 8 other hikers straggled in, reminded me of why I like to camp away from shelters. For the most part the people left on the trail are courteous hikers as they have been doing this long enough to learn protocol. 
The shelter opening faces east so the sunrise is on display albeit through the forest. I'm on the trail by 0530 hrs. There is a deli/grill in 3 miles just off the AT, I plan on breakfast with some coffee and an electrolyte beverage. 
I drop down to a very swampy area with big grasses and a very nice boardwalk. 


Looking back to where the shelter was on the side of that hill


Another fancy boardwalk 


Just before I reach the highway I cross a train track.  There is an Appalachian Trail stop on weekends right here. 


A short walk down the highway gets me another delicious egg sandwich and the beverages I seek. Plus a bathroom and charging for my phone. While waiting for my order I have a conversation with a fellow who helped build the boardwalk I just crossed. He used to also maintain that section. 
Back on the trail as it goes through pastureland. Normally I enjoy the pastureland sections, but the grass is still wet and now so are my feet, just no way to avoid it.  I'll have to dry them out later. 


A fascinating silo

After a thorough soaking I'm thankfully back in the forest. I'm enjoying the energy of breakfast and walk briskly.  I cross a good size stream via an interesting bridge. 


The crib pier in the middle is the first I've seen on this trail. 


The wall of rock on the left made for a different feel. 

The forest scent this morning is freshly herbal with floral back notes, very uplifting. Yesterday I got some floral notes reminding me of gardenias.  Down another grade then a pleasant walk along a river. I cross a substantial steel bridge at the confluence of a tributary and the Hausatonic River.  A plush trail continues along the river until Bull's Bridge Road. I take the road for a short .3 mile walk across a covered bridge to a small convenience store where I enjoy a lunch and ice cream.


Bull's Bridge


Bull's Bridge Market

 I am able to get my shoes and socks dry in the sun, this makes my afternoon walk much better. 
More climbing and boardwalks as I come to another milestone the NY/CT boarder. 


Another state passed through. 



Another climb offers views of southern Connecticut and the Housatonic River Valley

The end of the day I cross a small pasture, I think to myself best to do this now than in the morning.  I cross a nice little stream where a fisherman has caught a few trout.  


Interesting bridge of logs. Actually very easy to walk across. 

Another splendid day hiking as I locate a good site and settle down for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.