Saturday, June 10, 2017

Wet and Rocky

  • Day:  91
  • Start:  1164.9
  • End:  1186.9
  • Miles:  22
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  79
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
Rocky road

The soft tapping of rain drops is the first thing I hear as I wake.  A break in the rain happens allowing me to pack up and get on the trail by 0615 hrs. I ascend a 3 mile section first thing.  Climbing is always easier in the morning when I'm fresh and the air is cool.  Once on top I hear the thunder which ushers in some serious rain. The tread has intermittent rocky sections, really a lot more than I've had to deal with at one time on any part of the trail.  The rain finally lets up about 1000 hrs.  There is a detour because of work on a bridge. The detour sends me to the stream and some very big rocks so I can easily cross. 
I find a sunny area where I can rest, gather water and dry my rain fly.  It takes about an hour to get it dry, then I'm on the trail about 1200 hrs. 


I briefly exit the forest into a nice open field. A small troop of boy scouts are hiking towards me. I pull over to let them go by, wishing the a great hike. 

Surprising how warm it is outside the forest 

I arrive at another stream with a downed tree as the crossing. 

 
Convenient the tree fell here

I'm approaching interstate 81 the noise is loud, drowning out the subtle sounds of the forest.  I have an interesting crossing on a nicely preserved steel bridge. Then I follow the trail under interstate 81 and up a 2 mile climb. 

 
 Crosses the Swatara River

The climb is in the forest shade but the humidity is up from this mornings rain and the temperature is 78.  Needless to say I was pretty sweaty when I got to the top.  I want to do a few more miles to end up at a lookout and hopefully get s camp site by myself.  On the way I have to cross a jumble of rocks relying on the white blaze for direction because there isn't a trail. 

 

 
The lookout is a small view looking to the east. 

I setup my tent and climb in relaxing in a bug free environment.  I look back on my day and am pleased with how everything turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.