Friday, June 16, 2017

Wind Gap

  • Day:  96
  • Start:  1267.5
  • End:  1293.6
  • Miles:  26.1
  • Hours:  14
  • High temp:  79
  • Low temp:  59
  • Thru hikers met:  2

 
 
Eastern Pennsylvania , mile 1273.8

My alarm goes off at 0500 hrs, I feel like sleeping in, then I remind myself that today it could rain. Packed and on the trail at 0533 hrs. 

 
And here we go. 

I immediately start on rocky tread and it really only got better a few short times. Pretty much the hardest trail day yet as far as rocks go.  To be efficient on these rocky trails I have to achieve the "hiker trance", which is essentially relaxing my mind and allowing the subconscious to do some of the driving. When in this state I can go through the rocks at speed, but there is no looking around.  

 
A brief smooth spot 

I make 10.5 miles buy 0940 hrs, that's a solid 10x10 today. I am at Wind Gap a little town that has its western end meet the AT. This is where I am going to get more water and lunch today.  I stop at a little cafe that is closed until 1100 hrs, darn. The door us unlocked so I ask if I may sit and charge my phone while waiting for them to open. They are happy to allow me in, plus provide me with coffee.  After my lunch and water bottle refill I am treated to a ride back to the trailhead by a local.  I plan on just another 10 or 12 miles today leaving 6 or 4 to finish tomorrow to Deleware Water Gap. 
The trail leads me to a ridge with large slabs of rock. I think at one time there may have been a view but the trees have grown to block any view. 

 
Just keep walking on this ridge

 I am fueled by my big lunch and hike a couple of hours before resting.  Couple more rests and my last 10 miles are completed. I rest at the Kirkridge Shelter cooling my feet and gathering water. 

 
Kirkridge Shelter

The forecast was for rain tonight and tomorrow so I'm watching the sky to see if I should stay or leave. The sky clears and I feel fresh so I leave.  Then are still 6.5 miles to town. 

 
One last eastern Pennsylvania view, mile 1287.4

The trail turns to a two track and becomes smooth. I can see where a vehicle has recently passed by. 

 
Another smooth section 

Eventually I find the vehicle, it is a Search and Rescue vehicle. Appearently a young man is missing and there are teams out looking for him. The searchers fiill me in on his description letting  me know to call 911 if I see him. He is not on the trail as I descend.  The miles go by quickly and I find myself within 1 mile of town, so I hike in.  As I come to a paved parking are I see the mass of SAR vehicles and personnel at their command center.  A little further and I'm in town.  The Church of the Mountain Hiker Center is right down the street. I get a place to sleep in a gazebo outside. Nice because it's covered if it rains, plus there is power. They have a Thursday night hiker feed so the leftovers are available to me. I feast on fruit and a few cookies. 

My sleeping spot tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.