Sunday, June 25, 2017

Fort Montgomery

  • UDay:  105 - 106
  • Start:  1401.0
  • End:  1403.7
  • Miles:  2.7
  • Hours:  1
  • High temp:  71
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
 
My company on Bear Mountain this morning 

The sound of rain greets me as I switch my alarm off. I'm not in a big hurry to get down the mountain as the post office opens at 0900 hrs.  I try fro some more sleep but really I'm just listening to the rain willing it to stop.   About 0700 hrs it does stop.  I get everything ready in my pack then break down my tent. I'm on the trail in a very light intermittent rain. The tail down is a well build path with rock stairs. 


A nice path down 

 
View of the Hudson 

When I get to the bottom the Bear Mountain Inn is right here. Very nice stone lodge. There is a hiker cafe which opens at 1000 hrs., it's just 0800 hrs too long to wait. 


Bear Mountian Inn 


Hessian Lake 

 The othe very interesting part of this section is the AT goes right through the local zoo. This small zoo hosts all the local animals found in the area.  So can view those that I haven't seen yet. 


Mr bear and his buzzard friend 


Found this little snapping turtle right on the path


The AT meandering through the zoo


The site of Fort Montgomery a revolutionary war fort. 

Zoo complete, a pleasant and informative diversion from the normal trail. I walk to town where I can get my resupply box. 


View of the Bear Mountain Bridge Suspension Bridge. The AT crosses the Hudson on this bridge

There is a quickie mart right next door to the post office. I grab a banana and some coffee as I wait for 0900 hrs to roll around.  Just down the street is the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel where I'm going to stay. First order is the have a proper breakfast at the cafe next door.  The owner of the cafe make up a nice omelette and offer to drive me to the store when he goes himself.  I take him up on his offer getting a haircut and bread trim at the same time. Back at the motel I get settled in and start in my chores.  First is to dry my gear from the rain and the intense humidity.  I've got a pack strap the needs to be resewn which I repair.  Plus the shoulder straps require cleaning as I'm experiencing a rash where they contact my shirt.  I get my laundry accomplished and sort out my resupply.  I'm unable to update my blog because of a picture limit. I've got to research and resolve this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.