Thursday, June 15, 2017

Bake Oven Knob

  • Day:  95
  • Start:  1244.1
  • End:  1267.5
  • Miles:  23.4
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  88
  • Low temp:  72
  • Thru hikers met:  5

 
Western Pennsylvania 

Great start today at 0530 hrs. I arrive at a pretty grassy campsite with a nice view. The view is away from 2 hammocks so I decide to step over to see the view. On the way I see the dog water bowl. Before I can reverse my steps he's barking and coming towards me. Both campers are now shocked awake and I say "please control you dog".  Which they do.  I apologize for waking them explaining I wanted a picture of the view ,(above), and didn't realize they had a dog.  Everything's ok and I continue on my way. 
Now come the huge rocks that require a close eye on the blaze to stay on the trail, because there isn't a trail except for the blazes.   The positive is a great view. 

 
 View of eastern Pennsylvania from The Knifes Edge

A bit of a reprieve from the rocks allowing me to enjoy the forest. On a couple of occasions there is a toad that hops out of my way as I come by.  The toads don't scramble for cover they just get clear of my feet. I could actually pick one up if I wanted too. 
I stop for a break to enjoy my Sprouties. Gopals makes 3 kinds of sunflower seeds, original, savory and cheesy. They also have the same in pumpkin seeds. I find I still really enjoy the cheesy ones best. The savory seeds are so so as are the original flavor. 

Cheesy flavor still very good  

Now more big boulders to maneuver up to Bake Oven Knob which provides a splendid view. 

 
View of Eastern Pennsylvania from Bake Oven Knob

After the knob the trail goes through an open area with blooming mountain laurel.

 
Very pretty mountain laurel 

Now I must stop to gather 3 liters of water because this is the last source for 20 miles. Plus I have an exposed climb to make soon.  After watering up I follow the trail to the highway where there are flavored waters on ice and some donuts courtesy of an unknown trail angel. Oh and chairs to rest in.  I'm glad for the opportunity to get more water and rest as the exposed ascent is next. 

 
Bridge over the Lehigh River with the exposed rock climb in the background. 

After crossing the river the trail immediately ascends the mountain at a very steep grade. The lower section has some shade helping me out. Soon I'm in the rocky exposed section, (left side of picture above).  I am required to use my hands and climb searching for hand holds and foot purchases.  While I am pacing myself I am perspiring so much that my shirt is soaked as are the front of my pants down all the way to my thighs. Drops if sweat drip from my head as if I had dunked it in a basin of water.  I stop to rest taking a picture of the southeastern view with the bridge I just crossed. 

 
The Lehigh River bridge

 
Panarama view of the bridge

I climb over the ridge to the western side of the mountain. There are big rocks here to maneuver but no more climbing hand and foot. 

 
Western Pennsylvania view with PA route 248

As I get closer to the top the grade lessens making my effort less demanding. I find the first shade in a while and rest to cool off.  Glad I took picture on the way up as there isn't a view from the top.  I'm still exposed up here so I use my chrome dome umbrella. Instant shade plus I can catch the breeze and direct it to shower down on me. The breeze shower is wonderful especially when I get between my back and the pack, ahhh. 
The trail has been rerouted for a couple of miles on a new rock free tread with a view of Palmerton. 

 
Panarama of Palnerton And the trail

Looking south on the trail with Palmerton to the right

I find a shady rock overlooking Palmerton where I can remove my boots to cool my feet. What a pleasant place to rest. Upon continuing, the trail climbs and connects with the original rocky AT, oh boy.  I turn up hill a little  more and face this rock jumble. 

 
Upon closer observation there is a rock stair case on the left side. 

Once up the thoughtfully placed stairs, an unusual feature for the normally masochistic trail builders, I'm in the forest on a very steep grade climbing rocks. After a while of this I level off to the normal "gotta keep your eyes on it" trail.  About 4 more miles and I find a nice campsite. I'm very happy to get my tent up and my mattress inflated, ahhh time for a pre sleep nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.