Monday, June 5, 2017

Mason Dixon Line

  • Day:  85
  • Start:  1048.3
  • End:  1069.7
  • Miles:  21.4
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  1

 
 
Crossing a Pennsylvania field

I quietly leave my campsite at 0636 hrs, heading out with an overcast sky. I've managed to get a section with lots of rocks, so my pace is slowed while I try to stay on top of these rocks.  By 1000 hrs the sky has cleared making the temperature rise.  I stop for a rest and gather a little water from a trail angel cache. Upon leaving I knowing a small sign the size of a business card attached to a post, The PATC is hosting a thru hiked feed at Pen Mar Park today from 1000-1700 hrs. I check my distances and Pen Mar is 8 miles away.  That's totally doable, I probably arrive about 1300-1400 hrs. within time to enjoy something anyway.  So I continue my hike with rocky sections, one in particular shows no sign of a tread, the only thing I can do is walk from blaze to blaze and there don't seem to be enough blazes. 

Looks like a little wild white rose 

It is 1300 hrs as I arrive at Pen Mar Park. This is a huge family park with 3 pavilions, children's equipment and restrooms. One of the pavilions is occupied with seniors dancing and listening to a Sunday music show. I spot the PATC pavilion and make my way to it. I'm welcomed warmly by these volunteers and asked what I would like them to cook for me. I settle on a couple of hamburgers, some coleslaw, and a seltzer. I chat with Bob and his wife Regis. Bob has pictures of the fine projects they have completed to add to his stories. 

 
The PATC volunteers (Pennsylvania AT Chapter)

 
The vegetable and cookie table. 

I am happy to rest while eating, drinking and chatting with these great people. Another plate of vegetables plus a couple of oatmeal cookies to round out the meal.  The music drifts over to provide a pleasant afternoon atmosphere. 

 
The pavilion with the music

At 1515 I take my leave with well wishes for a safe hike.  I figure another 4 or 5 miles will complete my day.  As I leave I enjoy the valley view from the trail and park. 

 
I'm on the trail as it goes right through this park

Almost immediately I arrive at the Mason Dixon line, I'm now in Pennsylvania and Yankee territory. 

 
Yankee territory now

The afternoon has become still and warm, my pace is slowed to prevent loosing too much water.  I located a level spot in the woods perfect to end my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.