Sunday, August 20, 2017

White House

  • Day:  158
  • Start:  2130.1
  • End:  2144.2
  • Miles:  14.1
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  51
  • Thru Hikers met:  0


Copper Brook

Maybe 10 hikers tenting around the shelter last night. For the most part they were pretty quiet. After a good sleep I got on the trail at 0600 hrs. Today the profile of the trail is mostly flat which makes it fast. The sky is clear with a bit of a wind in the tree tops. For a while I follow Copper Brook, I enjoy listening to it's babbling sound.  Then into the forest, conifers and moss with occasional bog boards and chair size rocks to navigate. I find it strange that the forest is so quiet. There usually are birds singing in the morning and sending out warnings in the afternoon. Squirrels will chatter out warnings as well. The only sounds I hear are the wind in the trees and the creaking of trees rubbing against one another. I have seen some chipmunks and a few small birds but that is the sum of wildlife today.  


Copper Brook heading to Copper Pond

The forest changes to deciduous trees, with the cool morning temperature and the wind in the trees it feels like Fall is coming. 


Copper Pond


Lower Jo-Mary Lake

The trail goes along the shoreline of Lower Jo-Mary Lake, touching the sandy beach. Hikers say it's great for a swim but to watch out for the leaches. I figure the only way to watch out for leaches is to pick them off your body, so I didn't swim. 
At 1100 hrs I arrive at White House Landing dock for the off the grid hostel. I text the owner and he comes out in a small boat to get me. 


Bill and his boat


White House Landing Lodge


My bunk room


Lake view and my bunk house

So here I am in the middle of the 100 mile Wilderness in a hostel., this is some trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.