Sunday, August 13, 2017

Monson

  • Day:  153
  • Start:  2057.4
  • End:  2075.3
  • Miles:  17.9
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  5


Maine Fungi

The morning is misty from last night's rain. Instead of drying, my pack seems to have absorbed the night mist because it seems entirely damp.  The overcast and mist make the forest as dark as dusk.  On the trail by 0630 hrs, I slept in because of the dark. Today's trail is fairly flat so I'm hoping to make Monson early for a resupply and a final staging before the 100 mile Wilderness. 
I pass Shivers and her dad, met them in Rangeley.  For s long time the trail follows along a river creating a pleasant walk. Shivers and her dad arrive shortly after me at the East Piscataquis River as I prepare to ford.  


East Piscataquis River

The river is not really big or deep, just past my knees, but there just isn't any other way across.  I take my boots off and use my flip flops to cross, it's actually quite refreshing.  Another pond comes into view, I'm pleased by the number of ponds in this country as they add interest. 


Doughty Pond

I keep hoping that I'll spot a moose browsing in one of these ponds.  The trail drops into the deciduous forest as the sun starts to shine through the clouds. I'm getting close to Monson. 


The afternoon forest

When I make the highway, Duce is there waiting for the shuttle to Shaw's Hostel. I met Duce at the shelter last night, we enjoyed a 'finish the AT' and reminisce of our adventures conversation.  
Our shuttle arrives and whisks us to the hostel which is conveniently located close to the amenities of town.  A shower and laundering my clothes now things are starting to feel comfortable. 


On draft

Beer and a lobster roll complete the evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.