Monday, August 7, 2017

Stratton

  • Day:  148
  • Start:  1982.9
  • End:  1993.3
  • Miles:  10.4
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  62
  • Low temp:  48
  • Thru Hikers met:  0


A nice section of Maine AT

Dropped of on the trail by 0800 hrs. I have a simple 10 mile section to complete before the forecasted rain hits.  Today is a forest walk with little views or wind exposure. Yes the wind up here still rages, perhaps a little less than yesterday but strong enough to be difficult to hike in. 


Another nice section 

I notice a plaque commemorating the final link in completing the AT.  Interestingly the completion was accompanied in 1939, I feel as though much of the tread has not been touched since then, making it long overdue for rehabilitation. 


Completion plaque

A steep descent to the Carrabassett River, will I have to ford because of the rain?  


A nice view to the west as I take a break

There is a board as a bridge with rocks to complete the crossing, pleased about that. 


Carrabassett River a simple crossing

My ride is waiting as I approach the parking area. I'm now in the town of Stratton at the local hostel. A quick satisfying day on the trail. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.