Sunday, August 20, 2017

Rain Again?

  • Day:  159
  • Start:  2144.2
  • End:  2163.6
  • Miles:  19.4
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  64
  • Low temp:  49
  • Thru Hikers met:  2


Whites Landing, my bunk house

I had the entire bunkhouse to myself last night.  Everyone else slept in the common bunkhouse, I paid the extra $10 to get a private room of which there were 4 in my house.  A nice kitchen and living area with a table for dining.  Breakfast is at 0730 hrs, which is so late. A good spread of scrambled eggs, bacon, English muffins, juice and coffee, plus the New England staple, all the blueberry pancakes you can eat. 
I caught the first boat out and got back on the trail by 0830 hrs.  My goal is about 20 miles today so that I can reach Baxter Park tomorrow putting me with just 5.5 miles to summit Katahdin the following day. So in direct violation of my self imposed rule, "there is no need to walk into the eye of the storm", I walk. Today's forcast 70% rain, stopping in the afternoon the scattered thundershowers in the evening.  Sure enough the rain starts at 1000 hrs but stays all day. 
In short order I'm walking along the Nahmakanta Stream, a pleasantly level tread. 


Nahmakanta Stream

I follow the stream until it comes Nahmakanta Lake, a very long lake that I skirt for quite sometime. 


Nahmakanta Lake


The forest along Nahmakanta Lake 


A jumble of life


Nahmakanta Lake with Katahdin in the distance. 


Another beautiful and wet forest

I then follow Bullfrog Stream and then Rainbow Stream until I reach the Rainbow Deadwaters, these are ponds just below the Rainbow Lake Dam. The trail here is very muddy, but the all day rain is making even normally dry parts soggy now. 


Rainbow Deadwaters

I climb a bit to skirt Rainbow lake, the trail thankfully changes to a little less muddy. 


Another pretty section

As I skirt Rainbow Lake I know I'm getting close to a tenting site. When I arrive I look around to find many sites, so I select one that has tree protection and drainage. I have almost hiked the 20 I wanted so I'm ready to stop this slog and camp. 


Possibly my last tenting site for this trail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.