Sunday, August 13, 2017

100 Mile Wilderness

  • Day:  154
  • Start:  2075.3
  • End:  2089.6
  • Miles:  14.3
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru Hikers met:  5


Enough said

I'm on the trail at 0630 hrs, I'm planning to do a 14 mile section of the Wilderness bringing my total miles to finish down to 100.  The finishing point for this trail is climbing Mt. Katahdin.  There is a sign up there with the name on it so you'll know when I'm done. 
This mornings forest is misty and wet, trees drip as I walk the trail. Careful foot placement is required to avoid slipping. 


The trail looks so perfect here. Don't be fooled it doesn't last. 

Today is a forest walk with just one little view.  The trail starts following some rock ledges which offer a brief view to the east. 


View of eastern Maine

The best views today are the ponds. I've got my eye peeled for a moose as I stop to enjoy them. 



Today There is about 3 fords I have to consider. The first, Long Pond Stream, I am able to find rocks to easily step across.  The next stream, Big Wilson, I have to remove my boots to cross. So far all the streams have been at a reasonable flow and depth so I feel safe and comfortable crossing. The last stream, Little Wilson,  I decide to play it safe and cross with my boots off.  That's all the crossings for today.  
Thunder sounds in the distance, I think "maybe it will miss me today". Within 15 minutes I'm putting on my pack cover and rain jacket. Then the hard rain comes and I just hike through. Today the rain is just a cloud burst and lasts no more that 10 minutes, happy about that. 


Little Wilson Stream, my last ford for the day

Shortly after my crossing I come to Little Wilson Falls,  a contender for one of the best falls I've seen. 


Little Wilson Falls

Now my walk is talking me by ponds, nice ponds. 






The beaver dam




Bell Pond

Today I'm heading back to the hostel to stage and rest prior to the 100 mile Wilderness. My research indicates the wilderness is basicly without the towns I have become so used to. It really is more like hiking other long trails where I'm out for many days. I do know about halfway in is an off-the-grid hostel with food and a bunk, I might try it out. Once I leave the civilized world I may not have a service that allows me to post, this could be 5 days or so. Sorry, but please be patient with me I will try to update as soon as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.