Monday, August 7, 2017

Saddleback

  • Day:  147
  • Start:  1969.4
  • End:  1982.9
  • Miles:  13.5
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  60
  • Low temp:  54
  • Thru Hikers met:  6


Sunrise

I'm dropped off with 3 other hikers at 0800 hrs we begin the trail after a 1 mile hike in. Yesterday's rain has drenched the forest and everything is wet today. I gaze to the sky and notice the clouds are moving very fast, actually faster than the 25 mph forecasted winds.  I'm in the forest so right now the winds do not pose a problem. 


This mornings forest

I am making good time hiking in the cool weather and this drippy forest. Every now and then the trees offload their accumulated water droplets creating a small spot rain.  I come upon the Oberton Stream and notice the rocks used to hop across are under water about halfway across.  I can't see how far underwater they are on the far side, so I hope I can still use them without getting submerged.  I cross halfway easily them come to the submerged rocks, no chance to use them so I just step into the stream to finish. 


Oberton Stream looking back, 

The water was only mid calf deep on me and not swift where I stepped in.  I drained the water from my boots and wrung out my socks.  


A peek at the sky today


Saddleback looking west

As I progress through the forest I can hear the high winds and glimpse the clouds moving fast in the sky. As I approach Saddleback Mountain I leave the protection of the lea side of the mountain.  The wind is hash and cold, it blows hard causing me to lean into it to stay walking.  I try my best to get a 360 photo with the wind causing my hand to move. 


The way down from the peak is exposed rock for quite a while. The wind is strong but not as bad as the top. Soon I'm in in the sanctuary of the tree line and the wind abates. 
As I descend I pass an attractive little pond. 


Ethel Pond

Not much further and the trail levels out then the road appears.  I ask for s ride back to the Farmhouse and get one in short order.  A free spirit from South Africa converses about her world travels, giving due to my AT adventure.  
Back at the hostel I get cleaned up, then go to dinner in town. More protein is required along with good fats. The interesting thing about the Town of Rangely is that it is equidistant between the North Pole and the equator. 


I'm half way to the North Pole 

Another challenging but satisfying day on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.