Saturday, August 5, 2017

Farmhouse

  • Day:  145
  • Start:  1956.2
  • End:  1969.4
  • Miles:  13.2
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  15


Roots in Maine are normal and plentiful 

A very late start today at 0930 hrs.  I'm taking my leave of the Cabin. I find leaving Honey and Bear difficult because of the warm welcoming atmosphere they create.  I say goodbye with a bit of a mist in my eyes.  Hopper shuttles me to the trailhead and I start my day.  


Ethel Pond

Today is a forest walk with no real views.  The sky is overcast and there is some fog as I hike this morning. There are little climbs and descents but nothing extreme.  The interest today is the lakes along the way, they always add a pleasant diamension to the scenery. 


Little Swift River Pond

Afternoon thunderstorms are agin forecasted for today.  These storms lately seem scattered just hitting in some locations but not everywhere at once.  So I make an educated gamble on hiking in the early afternoon. I reach my destination for a the day, hwy ME 4.  I ask for a ride to the Farmhouse Hostel, my next destination.  It seems I have evolved to enjoying town food and the amenities of a hostel.  This trail offers so many options in this respect it's hard to avoid.  
At the hostel there is a celebration going on for Pippi, a section hiker that finished today on her birthday.  To celebrate there is a complete summer buffet.  I met Pippi in Waynesboro, VA.  She pulled off the trail there because of all the storms in the Shenandoahs.  She gave practical information about the trail ahead that I appreciated.  I was glad to help her celebrate her birthday and AT completion.  A nice end to a pleasant hiking day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.