Saturday, August 5, 2017

Old Blue

  • Day:  144
  • Start:  1943.0
  • End:  1956.2
  • Miles:  13.2
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru Hikers met:  3


Maine forest trail

On the trail by 0645 this morning, a good start to tackle the 3600' Old Blue Peak.  The climb is about 2.5 miles and I'm ready for the difficult stuff. As I climb I'm looking for the hard stuff. I keep saying to myself it must be coming up ahead, I'm braced for it. Then the tail levels out and s sign indicates I'm on the top. There wasn't any difficult stuff today, I'm fairly pleased that the big climb for the day is done so easily. 


View from Old Blue looking west 

Most of today's hike is in the forest.  I arrive at a clearing with a view of the building thunderheads. The forcast is for thunderstorms after 1400 hrs. 


The thunderheads are building 

Not far to the east i can see the darkness of rain falling. I hear the thunder and quicken my step. As I come to a dirt road 1 mile from my scheduled pickup point there is a nice couple offering trail magic. I explain I'm  due to meet my shuttle driver and feel compelled to move on, but take their offer of a cold drink and a banana.  We enjoy a pleasant conversation then I take my leave thanking them.  


Snowball and Teddy's trail magic

One mile goes by quickly and I emerge at highway 17.  There is a nice view of lake Mooselookmeguntic Lake from the parking lot. 


Lake Mooselookmeguntic Lake reminds me of Puget Sound. 

I was able to avoid the thunderstorms on the trail today, however the rain did come down hard at the Cabin. Another pleasant day hiking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.