Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Bigelows

  • Day:  150
  • Start:  2002.4
  • End:  2018.2
  • Miles:  15.8
  • Hours: 8
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  5


Soil not required

The last of the higher peaks, The Bigelow range, are on my list to complete today. I'm dropped off on the trail at 0745 hrs.  The tread is flat for the first couple of miles the starts a gentle climb for the next several miles to Little Bigelow Mountain. 


My first view on the northern slopes of  Little Bigelow. 


The trail drops from Little Bigelow into a notch of huge boulders.  I weave in and around the big rocks following the trail. 









After the boulder field I start my climb to Avery Peak and a great view of Maine and her many lakes. 

Just a little more and I'm on the peak. Today the wind is mild, but there is a threat of rain and the sky changes by the minute making the threat a possibility. 


Another quick down and then an up to Bigelow West Peak where I find some shelter behind a rock to enjoy the view and food. 


On top of Bigelow West Peak with a view Western Maine in the background 

After my lunch break I continue on the ridge to the South Horn followed by my descent. 


View to the southeast from the South Horn

I have a long descent to the trailhead. Early on I come to another boulder field. The boulders on this side seem to have more moss and other growth on them. I work my way through these massive remnants of the last ice age. 


 

Another tree taking root on top of a rock

The steep descent finally levels out into a valley with a couple of streams. I've dropped back down into the deciduous tree forest leaving the moss and ferns behind. I arrive at my pickup location waiting just 5 minutes for my shuttle to wisk me back to the hostel. I'll have some more climbs but this is the last of the difficult ones.  Now to a shower and town food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.