Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Finally! Time to Pack Resupply Boxes

Packed and ready to ship 

Sooo, my start date draws neigh...

Average box contents

After months of research and weeks of waiting for shipments I finally assemble my supplies, food and USPS boxes in the living room. Since I consume mostly the same foods every day, I want them to be the best I can find.  I looked for foods that are organic, non-GMO, plus hormone and antibiotic free. I feel pretty good about my selections and based upon my calculations I should have a daily supply of at least 35% fat content from good sources.  

Now, to just start the packing process; select a box size based upon the amount of days of food it holds, make the box, label it with the shipping town and a consecutive number, then load it with food and supplies.  I've created a spreadsheet of my schedule that estimates my time between re-supply points. The schedule populates my food page with locations and days between these points. This page then calculates the amount of each food items I'll need for the segment. Boggles the mind, I know, but in the end I have a location to send my box, a listing  of foods and amounts to pack.  One of my foods is macadamia nuts, very light and packed with fats and protein. To save money I purchased 33 pounds of these nuts in bulk. Now I must repackage these nuts into 4 ounce servings, a task I'm not really looking forward too as I calculate 150 required. Well, it wasn't really that difficult repackaging my macadamias, I am able to scoop then easily out of the box, then pour them into snack bags on my ounces scale. Really done in no time, the dread was for not. 

Now each box gets the alotted amount of food, map sections and supplies like contacts, vitamins, laundry soap, clean handkerchief, shoe inserts,  and razor. Some boxes get additional supplies required for special sections. The Chama box gets special socks, water proof boots, micro spikes (like crampons only smaller), an ice axe and bags for boot storage in my sleeping bag during freezing temps. Chama is my last stop prior to the Colorado Rockies so this is a very important box.

Boxes done, 34 in all. Just for the record here's my food list:

Epic - Bison and Beef bars
Kits - Organic Fruit and Nut bars
Kind - Strong bars
Hemplers - Pepperoni sticks uncurred 
Macadamia nuts
EmergenC - C and electrolytes 
Daily Vitamins

This ought to do it for fueling my journey and the answer is 'No'  I do not cook food.  Saves the whole problem of fuel, fire and water when I want to eat.

A couple of extra thoughts, the green zebra tape on the boxes is placed on all 4 sides, this aids in easy identification from all the another boxes that look exactly the same. In addition to the zebra tape,  labels indicating my estimated arrival date will be applied to 5 sides of the box.

My Estimated Arrival Date Labels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.