Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cross Country


  • Day; 2
  • Start:  20
  • End:  45
  • Miles:  25
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  85
  • Low temp:  45
  • People met:  1


Posts you must find to stay on the trail

Cows lowing as the sun set, made for a pleasant evening last night. Their sounds were gentle, almost musical. 
This morning I decided to follow the posts that delineate the trail. I walk up a jeep road about 1500' to the trail intersection. So what I had to do was spot the next post amongst all the other natural look-a-likes. Sometimes I just started out in the general direction until the next post became obvious. The brush here is still fairly thick, but mostly a circuitous path can be found around the nasty ones. I tracked just like I did yesterday by finding a point on the distant mountain, this worked fairly well.  Sometimes the post zigzag, to allow for easier crossings of the washes. This was the biggest benefit over my parallel tracking yesterday. I enjoyed the challenge even though it took more time to hike this way.  Goodby to the Hachet Mountains. 

Finally the trail becomes more open

The post challenge finished I change directions and the desert becomes less cluttered with dangerous bushes. In 5 miles I make the 2nd water cashe. CDTC has left 2 gallons per person. I take about 2.5 liters, the mornings have been so pleasant I'm not using that much water. 

Water cashe

The desert floor is soft dirt/sand that takes a footprint, this means I have a trail to kind of follow. The posts have been replaced by CDT signs, making identification easier because of the nice white background and blue emblem.   Flowers are blooming dressing the path with their beauty. 








The cacti flowers are stunning, I can almost taste butterscotch and red candy hearts when I view them. One cactus hosted a birds nest, which I thought was a brilliant home protection plan. 

Bird nest
This is As close as I could get to the nest without getting stuck. The little hole is the front door. Walking further I am delighted by grasshoppers performing their air ballet with every step I take. There must be about 20 with each step. This little show continues for most of the day.  
The suns intensity comes on faster today, making me deploy my hiking umbrella. It may seem silly to the uninitiated but the silver coated outside provides me with a cool shady spot while hiking. Really I didn't start sweating until the trail changed to a jeep road with lots of ups and downs. The cool breeze is again a welcome presence. 

A beautiful green lizard

This little guy posed nicely for my camera and with such pretty colors I guess it's no surprise. 
I was able to spot a couple of jack rabbits, and several horny toads. 
I took a pleasant break under a healthy tree bordering a wash. As I was leaving another hiker showed up. A very pleasant fellow who is working on his triple crown. He goes by Spoonman and is clearly a seasoned hiker. We meet again another time at a rest stop and enjoy some more pleasant conversation. 

My rest stop with the Hatchet's in the background. 

From here the trail is easier to follow, but the heat has increased. I can feel my feet getting hot and requesting a rest. I make 20 miles at 1600 and figure I'll just rest a while before hiking another 5 miles to the next water cashe. After cooling off my feet out of my shoes I head out for the final push of the day, slowing my pace to make the trip easier on my feet.  Part of this mostly breezeless walk is directly into the hot western setting sun. I make my destination by 1900, even with the slow hiking earlier today I managed 25 miles. 

Spoonman is here, we rest in the shade while eating dinner and discuss the importance of good nutrition for hikers. 

Time to make camp and complete the evening chores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.