Thursday, April 16, 2015

Trail Hardening with Full Pack

  • Day;  -12
  • Start:  0
  • End:  21 
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  46
  • Low temp:  63
  • People met:  26


Tolt Pipeline Trail

Time to hike with a full pack......

A relaxed start this morning, just eased into my hike. I want to test my gear with a full pack on a trail that is more like hiking,  with elevation gains and losses.  I've got 4 liters of water and 5 days of food, along with everything else I'm starting with in New Mexico.  Pack weights in at 30lbs with a base at 18lbs.  


I know, it's not like the CDT at all

What a great day with temperatures in the low 60's.  I am keeping in mind even though I'm successful hiking in this environment, the New Mexico desert is going to be more challenging with the addition of heat and sand. My experience in the California desert heat reminds me of what to expect.  I ate my trail food testing it for fueling me through the day. My initial thoughts are, the food will do the job. I do have a concern that the Cliff organic bars my have too much date sugar. I like more high fat, low sugar foods to provide sustained power.  Time is going to be the deciding factor whether these bars will work for the long run. 




Sammamish River Trail

I have too add a few miles on the Sammamish River Tail to reach my goal for the day of 20 miles. Nice walk as a majestic bald eagle sores confidently overhead. Far in the south Mt. Rainier rises high above the green Washington landscape.  The hike is complete and to be honest, hips and shoulders are pack sore. This is the very reason I'm hiking now, hardening against the job ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.