Thursday, April 9, 2015

Gear Test on the Sammamish Trail

  • Day:  -18
  • Start:  0
  • End:  20
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  5.5
  • High temp:  46
  • Low temp:  66
  • People met:  too many to count

Great day on the Sammamish River Trail

Good day to get out and test some gear

Trees in Redmond 

Time to get in some walking to acclimate my body to the daily expectations of a thru hike.  I want to test my Hoka running shoes to see if the cushioning midsole is effective.  During the walk I'll eat the supplies I've selected for the hike to see if the desired energy is produced.  

I get started at 0830 hrs at mile marker 3.  I head south towards Redmond and the start of the trail.  The trail is all asphalt which makes for a very good test of the midsoles.  On a thru hike road walking is the most brutal on the feet.  This is why I'm on the Sammamish Trail today.

Few people out this morning, some commuters heading to work, but otherwise very nice and quiet.  Once in Redmond I remember that I have one more item to pickup at REI, fortunately the trail passes within 500' of the store.  The time is 0930 and the store does not open until 1000 hrs, the good news is that there is a Starbucks very close by where I can wait while enjoying a beverage.  Got my part and back on the trail making good time at a pace I figure is over 3 mph.  
Heading back to my truck 3 miles to go



I continue back towards my start point then beyond.  Stopping in Woodinville for lunch.  up to mile marker 10 then a return to my truck.  I expect my feet to be aching by this time given my experience with this trail and the distance, pleasantly my feet are not complaining.  It's my legs that are a little tired, but that is to be expected.  Back at my truck and heading home.  Shoes and food both work as anticipated.  I think these Hokas will be fine in the desert, cool and cushioning.  For higher elevations and rougher trails I'll use Keen Voyagers, already field tested on the JMT and work great for me.

In the days ahead I plan to a few more conditioning walks, some with a full pack.  I'll let you know how those go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.