Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Southern Terminus


  • Day; 1
  • Start:  0.0
  • End:  20.2
  • Miles:  20.2
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  82
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  8

Loading our packs


 I awaken after a restless night to a soothing alarm on my phone it's 0530 and in 1/2 hr breakfast is served, followed by a 3 hr ride to the southern terminus of the CDT.  Only 7 of us to go today, but there are more than that in the lobby and breakfast area.  The trail goes right through Lordsburg, so hikers that have already finished the 85.5 miles from the terminus are preparing to embark as well. 




We each leave individually, wishing all a safe and great adventure. The air is cool with a slight breeze, perfect hiking weather in the boot heel of New Mexico. As I leave I take a last look at our border. My pack feels good despite my 5 liters of water, 2.2 lbs/ltr. = 11 lbs if water alone. There is not a whisper of sound  save my footfalls and the soft, comforting, creaking of my pack. I start on a real trail demarked with CDT signs
Sort of a trail anyway


Soon the trail becomes a seldom used jeep road. The grade is slight making for a pleasant pace in this cool morning. Flowers are starting here, I find some wildflowers, cactus, and many ocatillo.  The many bushed display foliage of a lush spring green, save the sage, which looks like sage green. The surrounding mountains display a subtle beauty of multi colored soil, as if painted in gray, mauve, and red. 







I find the ocatillo fascinating


Ocatillo are abundant here, at times I look across the expanse seeing a subtle red from the multitude of blooming plants. The stems are covered with 1/2" spikes that send a clear warning, don't even think of getting close. Some well watered specimens have small round green leaves covering the stems as well. 

A beautiful tree within a wash


The trail follows many washes, making me think it my be difficult should a storm roll in. I follow the jeep trail and wash trail through the mountain range and emerge through Sheridon Canyon at a water cashe provided by the CDT Coalition. I've gone about 11 miles and used about 1 liter of water. Jeeeze the means I could of carried less water, like 8.8 lbs.  The cool day simply makes for low water usage, plus my studious town hydration. 


Cross country from here 


The afternoon sun is starting to become intense, time to shield myself with my hiking umbrella. My pace is slowing because the trail now goes cross country, but there isn't a trail. I get a vector parallel to the map and fix on a point on a distant mountain.  Occasionally I check to make sure I'm on track. This method seems to work well as I thread through the bushes. I feel like Wilely Coyote with his tail on fire going every which way, except in slow motion. I'm picking my own path winding through the bushes, avoiding the prickly ones, so the trail is not straight just moving in the general direction.  Often I come to a wash, this means I have to pick a way down and back out. Sometimes this picking process is not straight forward as the wash may have verticals walls that are too high to scale. After about 4 hours of this hot fun the sun sets and I finish my day after finding a flat spot to camp. 



Nice to find a clear area to camp

A good day hiking, yes I'm a little sore but my feet are in good shape. Hope they stay that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.