Monday, April 27, 2015

Tucson to Lordsburg almost there


  • Day; 0
  • Start:  0
  • End:  163
  • Miles:  163
  • Hours:  2.5
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  52
  • People met:  15


Last Nights Sunset in Tucson

The morning light glows invitingly through my unshaded motel window. <--!more-->Not yet 0600, but I rise eagerly as my Greyhound bus to Lordsburg leaves at 1000.  Only a 10 minute walk to the station, I just don't want to miss this bus.  I feast on a southwestern version of the breakfast served at the Residence Inn. That means, tortillas  for wrapping the green chillie scrambled eggs. Actually pretty satisfying, I enjoyed two with some sausage links mixed in and a little salsa. I relax enjoying my book until it's time to catch my bus. 



The River Park Inn, Tucson

2.5 hours later, I'm in Lordsburg,NM, my jumping off point for the CDT.  Another 10 minute walk from the bus terminal, really just an awning with several benches, strategically placed close behind a McDonalds, and I'm at the Econo Lodge



Evening at the Econo Lodge

Three hikers, just in from the trail, great me along with a very happy proprietor. Hikers are making his business boom.   The trail head for the CDT is a place on the U.S./Mexico border about 80 miles south off here. I have a ride scheduled with a group of hikers tomorrow at 0615.  

A few errands completed, mail and water. Last minute map, water reports, and weather.  Then off to dinner at Kranberry's located directly across the street. 



Kranberry's 

Peru and her long time boyfriend appear, joining me for dinner.  A pleasant hiker discussion ensues. Seems they have been hiking the southern sections of the CDT providing updated water reports. Their plans are to finish the Colorado CDT section this year. Peru is working on her triple crown, PCT (Pacific Crest Trail), CDT (Continental Divide Trail), and the AT(Appalachian Trail), she has but parts of the CDT to finish to have all three completed. I hiked with her group for a while up to Forester Pass in the high sierras.  Very pleasant seeing a fellow hiker from the PCT.  

I have no hiker hunger, so when asked if I want desert I politely decline. Back in my room I lay out my gear for the morning, set my alarm and call it a day.  

Tomorrow the start of a 3000 mile journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.