Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Short Day

  • Day:  47
  • Start:  1677
  • End:  1689
  • Miles:  12
  • Hours:  3
  • High temp:  80
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  2


Just flowers

In the distance this morning I can see the snow capped Wind River Range. The CDT goes through the Winds, a section I am looking forward to.  Now the trail is actually pointed toward the Winds, so I can see my destination. 
 
If you zoom in you can see the Winds

After doctoring blisters on both heals I decided to make a short day of it.  The trail was about one third sand today, always a challenge to hike in. While the sky was clear a pleasant breeze maintained cooler hiking all morning.  The stillness of these open plains never gets common place, I am thankful for the beauty out here every day. 
 

I did see wild horses today and of course many more pronghorns. I am facinated by the antelope, they are a good size, heavier than a deer and with shorter legs. Their markings are striking with black accents on the faces to solid white rumps. The bodies have a two tone appearance of a light buckskin and the males carry short pronged horns. Truly these animals are attractive to observe. 
I have about three and a half days to go covering 70 miles to South Pass City.  Rest today then on tomorrow. 

Saw this Snotel summery thought I'd include it for reference and edification.  Colorado experienced the wettest May in 121 years of record keeping. Think I flip to Glacier. 

http://snowbrains.com/current-colorado-snowpack-is-insanely-above-normal/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.