Thursday, June 4, 2015

Endless beauty

  • Day:  34
  • Start:  737
  • End:  763
  • Miles:  26
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  2

Stunning colors on this little guy

The rushing of the water was louder than I've heard in a while, that means a river to ford. Supposed to be a log bridge here but it looks like it washed out. I get myself ready to ford, looks like to my mid thigh. I cross in slower moving water, nonetheless it was COLD and 6" above my knees. Apparently, hours after I crossed this creek a NFS team reset the log bridge.  I found this out as someone posted some pictures of the team doing the job.  


A pleasant walk in the forest leads to aspens and meadows. The slopes in the trail are not steep or long, making the walk even more enjoyable. 



True to New Mexico weather this year, an afternoon thunder storm developes.  Usually the rain doesn't last long, maybe 20 minutes, as it starts to rain I settle down under a protective tree and wait out the rain.  I always check the trees to make sure they are widowmaker free and not the tallest trees around.  In about 20 minutes the sun is shining and I'm hiking again.  Around 1730 hrs I come to a huge meadow that I must cross. I'm getting tired, but once started I have to get to a place with protective trees. Sleeping in the meadow will draw moisture, soaking my tent, plus I'll have no protection from the lighting during a thunder storm.

An evening storm gathers


Looking south the direction I have hiked

The storm is coming, the winds are high at my back pushing me to the tree line ahead. I'm moving fast now, 200' from the tree line and rain starts. The wind is howling as I step in the protective cover of the forest.  I check the trees for safety and notice the cows usually seek refuge here during storms. There isn't a clean place to camp, so I move to another stand of trees. I find a level and clean spot to setup camp.  Snug in my tent the storm passes without impacting me. 
During the night I hear the distant sounds of pups yipping. I think coyote and suppose their parents have brought home food.  Throughout the night the winds come up and rain begins, but only lasting for the 20 minutes each time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.