Friday, June 19, 2015

Rain in the Afternoon

  • Day:  48
  • Start:  1689
  • End:  1712
  • Miles:  23
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  44
  • Low temp:  69
  • People met:  3


Few clouds and nice temperature 

The trail continues to be moderate with few noticeable ups and downs. Water in today's section is available, however it all has cow contamination. I would have to filter and treat any water collected, so I'll choose to carry about 4.5 liters of water past all this cowy water.  
The trail is now into foothills, so sometimes the views are just hills and other times I'm on a ridge with fantastic views. I pass through a lush section where many things are blooming at once. In fact a bush is blooming so profusely that the scent is overpowering. It reminds me of one of those scented evergreen tree ornaments that hang from the mirror of a cab to the airport, they always seem to be offensive.  Aside from the heavy scent there are many pretty flowers.
 Blooming bush










I enjoyed the iris field the most. As the day continued the clouds build up and I could see rain happening far to the south. I find the dramatic sky the enjoyment of the afternoon. 








The trail turns up a steeper climb than normal out here. I stop just before the climb to take some nourishment. I hear a distant sound like coyotes singing, no not that, but what. Suddenly I look up to see a swarm of mosquitos hovering above me. It's the swarm making that sound. I hike the climb without nourishment, appearantly I only required some motivation. These miserable bugs plagued me for the rest of the evening. 



As I approach my quitting hour I'm looking for a suitable place to camp.  The clouds are getting darker all around me so I am hurrying to find a good place.  Now fat drops are starting to fall as I set up my tent. Before I can completely get everything setup rain begins in earnest. My shelter is wet inside now and my clothes are soaked. I mop the tent floor then put up my air mattress. Next my bag goes on the mattress and I slip out of my wet clothes then put on my sleeping clothes, ahhh dry and warm. I'll just have to dry everything out tomorrow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.