Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Great Basin North

  • Day:  45
  • Start:  1632
  • End:  1655
  • Miles:  23
  • Hours:  &
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  43
  • People met:  0


 
Trail follows this road heading west

Waiting at the post office as they open, my resupply box arrived last night. A 20 minute walk back to my room to organize and plan with my maps. Rain is forecast at 80% today, peaking at 1100 hrs.  The rain is scattered and doesn't seem to last long. The wind is warm and dry so it seems to evaporate the rain rapidly. The cloud cover provides a comfortable hiking day, so I leave at 1200 hrs.
About 3 miles of asphalt road walk as the CDT goes right through town. I feels so good and natural to be hiking again. My spirits are soaring as I take in the beauty of the day.  Once off the asphalt I follow a dirt road for most of the afternoon. The hills are rolling and very grassy with some sage and flowers. I observe under foot many pieces of jasper with bright red coloring. I stop to examine the beautiful colors many times as I walk.  I see many
Pronghorn  antelope or rather they see me first and run from my sight.  These hills are filled with them. I notice they seem to be in pairs and they spot me about 2 tenths of s mile away, so pictures are impossible.  I enjoy watching their graceful movements as they seem to glide over the grassland. 




It is very pleasant out here, the trail is nice and moderate, easy to walk. I make good time for starting so late. I stop at fish pond spring for water, The BLM has fenced off the area and provided a solar well for fresh cold water. The runoff flows down a creek where all the animals may drink. 

My rain shelter 
Rain seems to be coming in earnest so I seek shelter under the only trees I've seen all day. I watch from my comfortable shelter as the rain clouds move southwest leaving spots of sun and thin clouds. 

The trail crosses this basin

My last section of the day and I'm headed due west directly into the sun which has decided to show itself for the rest of the day. 

Dry mud flats, so glad they are dry

Rain did come to this basin in some places earlier today. I am running out of sunlight so I decide to camp. I find a suitable spot but no mater how I look I can feel the moisture in the ground. I can only hope the breeze will help keep me dry tonight.  I'm glad to be able to rest after today's hike and am very happy to be on the trail again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.