Saturday, June 13, 2015

On the Straight and Narrow

  • Day:  46
  • Start:  1655
  • End:  1677
  • Miles:  22
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  80
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  2


So much moisture fog like clouds are forming

I try to ring out as much moisture from my rain fly as possible before I stuff in into the sack. I feel like I've got an additional pound of water to carry. I will dry my gear when the sun is higher in the sky. The moisture has risen in the ground causing mud where there was none last night. This mud stacks and sticks to my boots. Just the short walk back to the trail causes me to grow a couple of inches. 
The trail is over grown with grasses this morning. Normally the over growth is not a big problem, but the grasses are wet, water is transferred to my boots and pants, in short order I'm soaked from mid calf down. 

That shiny look is water

 The trail folliows a dirt road that runs almost straight across this land, stretching to infinity. I enjoy the constant movement of the pronghorns as they keep their distance from me. There are some young pronghorns out here as well, they of course are pretty cute. An occasional cottontail scampers away as I approach.  There are wild horses out here as I see their hoof prints and other signs everywhere.   I haven't seen the horses yet. 



From here to infinity 

This mornings flower show is sparce but includes some beauties. 






I find water at Bull Spring, an excellent solar well. Clear well water is poring out in a fenced area. The fence protects the source from cattle contamination but allows them to drink from the creek that forms outside. 

Bull Spring

I take advantage of the fence to dry my gear. 


Ridge Runner and K2 appear as I'm waiting for things to dry. Last time I saw them was at the Toaster House, ages ago. They have decided to get the Great Basin out of the way as well. Nice couple, as you may remember Ridge Runner is working on her triple crown. 

And this is the way it goes

I have about 80 miles further to travel out here. I expect the trail will be about like this for maybe 60 of that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.