Friday, June 19, 2015

Battle Pass

  • Day:  51
  • Start:  1552
  • End:  1559
  • Miles:  7
  • Hours:  4.5
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  4


Poppys in Encampment

Today I've got to get to the trailhead. Three rides with some very nice people get me to the little town of Encampment. I gather my resupply box at the local PO and sort out everything for the section. 


The trailhead is Battle Pass about 7 miles up the road. I start walking through town and notice a bar and grill that looks like a good place to have lunch.  The waitress is speaking to an older couple about something as I walk up she says there's one now pointing to me. Immediately a conversation is started about hiking the Continental Divide. When the couple are about to leave they state they are going up to the Pass on there way.  Boldly I request if I might joint them to the Pass. Delightedly I am accepted, plus they insist I eat something before leaving, thus we visit while I devour my burger and drink as much water as I can hold. Joe and Jan a wonderful couple down from Montana for a recreational outting are my hosts to the Pass. 

Route 70 at the Divide

Joe and Jan let me off at the parking lot on the Pass. I road walk the section until the trail turns off the highway. 

So here we go

In order to complete the last section of the Great Basin I've got to do the 15 mile stretch of higher elevation. Normally I'd say the higher elevation  is the best part of the trail. Well I got to go through about 8 miles of continuous snow. That means finding the trail and slogging through all that stuff. 

First snow




Climbed this

The first part of the section is uphill, yes in snow, to Bridger Peak, 10,954'. The snow is fairly consolidated so I'm not sinking into it. I shuffle my feet kicking in each step to avoid slipping. The work is slow and laborious, I'm sweating even in this cool environment. 

Almost to the peak, (out of picture on left)


I'm on top




A partial view from the top

In the summer this peak is fairly easy to make. But today it is an acheivment because of all the snow and hard work to get here. 
Now seems like I should just head down the slope to snow free trails, not so, got about 4 more miles of snow to walk before the trail descends below the snow line. 

The trail purposely stays high


Nice Basin view. 

My feet are soaked and getting cold, the daylight is starting to wain because of the afternoon cloud cover. I realize I won't make the snow free level so I find a small patch of dryish soil under some trees to setup camp. Only 7 miles today, but they were mostly climbing in snow, so I'm happy. Tomorrow I'll be out of this snow in about 2 miles or less, then into the Basin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.