Thursday, June 4, 2015

Transition

  • Day:  33
  • Start:  717
  • End:  737
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  71
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  2

This mornings view

That sweet, melodies sound of the meadow lark is all that breaks the silence. Once I pass the bird's territory another bird starts singing, so I have a serenade for the complete meadow walk. Yellow spots of smiling dandelions blanket the grasslands. I enjoy the dandelions in these fields, but still I have a small lingering dislike for them because I don't care for them in my lawn.  Today's new flower on the scene is a yellow columbine, very delicate with an intense yellow. 

Columbine 

I weave in and around stands of aspen, every once in a while I catch the sweet scent of their leaves. 



The elevation is over 10,000', the snow melt is everywhere, mostly collecting in the wheel ruts on the dirt roads. I manage to keep my feet dry, until I summit the pass. Here the meadow is completely saturated with no possibility of stepping from grass clump to clump, I'm wet now. Plus as an added feature it's raining. 

Snow melt

Meadow on top, further on it's flooded

On the north side I encounter snow drifts, some are crusty enough I am able to walk over them, others I posthole.  The meadows up here are impressive and beautiful, inspiring a happy feeling while walking in these open areas. I catch my first glimpse of the snow covered Rockies, reminding me I am but days from finishing New Mexico. 

Way in the distance, the Rockies

This section is a transition from the desert to the mountains. While I enjoyed the awe inspiring desert I am glad to be in the mountains again. 


Love how this forest has their skirts all the way to the ground and no other bushes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.