Friday, June 5, 2015

Cumbres Pass

  • Day:  35
  • Start:  763
  • End:  794 -2
  • Miles:  29
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  2

Cumbres Pass means I'm in Colorado

His chattering is loud and obnoxious, he's right outside my tent. Soon he climbs the tree I'm under and drops pine cones on my tent. I get the idea that I'm not welcome in Mr. Squirrel's territory. 
Quickly the meadow turns into a aspen grove and meadows as the trail goes north. 




The trail is fairly smooth with moderate ups and downs, nothing requiring lots of exertion.  I find a suitable creek to take some water. As I filter my water I glance up to notice an antelope on the hillside. Looks like he was coming down for a drink but saw me there. 

He didn't wait long to bolt. 

I walk a ridge along a beautiful valley with a small creek running through. The grass is a lovely spring green. I marvel at the grasses up here, always manicured making everything appear park like. 



I come to a rural campground nestled between some small lakes. Really the lakes are more like ponds even though I saw a 6" trout flash away as I walked the shore. Beyond the lakes another ridge to walk. I enjoy the ridge walks this trail provides. Views are a big part of the experience in my book. 
On to another ridge walking a dirt road. I can see Colorado and her mighty snow covered mountains. 


North to Colorado

Now comes my last stretch, to Cumbres Pass. Plenty of daylight left for me to make the pass.  



There is a sightseeing train that visits the pass twice a day.  Now it's about 1830 hrs, I fear I will not be able to catch this train to Chama.  I find out the train leaves at 1115 hrs., so I missed it by a bunch. Nothing I could have done to change my time getting out.  Chama is about 25 miles away. I weigh my options, camp here and wait half a day to catch this train or try to catch a ride to town. The sun is now just touching the mountain top, casting long cool fingers of shade. I open my pack for some warmer clothing and a local stops to offer me a ride. In short order I'm in Chama and checked to the Elkhorn Lodge.  Ahh clean and relaxed again.  New Mexico is done, I've walked across it. 


View from my room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.