Friday, June 19, 2015

South Pass City

  • Day:  50
  • Start:  1739
  • End:  1754
  • Miles:  15
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  4


The Sweetwater River below

Last night for three hours the rain fell and the wind blew with intent to do harm. My tent stayed staked and dry inside, it handled the onslaught well. Glad I picked such a nice draining location, that helped keep the water from pooling. 
A beautiful morning with open sky's in from of me. The Winds are so close I can see some features. To think about 70 miles ago I first glimpsed the Winds and now I'm walking around to the south end of the range. 

The Winds

This morning is pretty much a dirt road walk, about 5 cars pass me good going south. Roadrunner, K2 and here parents stop to say hi as they drive out for their day of hiking. Everyday roadrunner's parents pick her and K2 up, this way they hike with very light packs and don't have to worry about water as much. Plus they get town food and to sleep in a real bed every night. Sounds very tempting. 
My last stretch into South Pass City is along a ridge then following Rock Creek. 

Ridge view




Trees are starting to appear


 


Rock Creek runs right through South Pass City.  The town is really an old gold mining town with a historic section as big as the actual town. Needless to say but South Pass City is really smaller than a town. 

View of the historical section


Sample of the historic buildings


Thought this might interest the women of the family. 
 
Two more miles to highway 28 and I'm done with this section. I approach 28 and am treated with a splendid view of the south end of The Winds. 

South end of The Winds

Section done, now to get to Encampment to complete the south of Rawlins section. There will probably be snow in the section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.