Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cataract Camp to Mystic Lake

08/27/13
Start time:  0730
End time:  1200
Miles: 6.7
Min alt: 4026
Max alt:  6940
Min temp: 52
Max temp: 68
People met: 8


Nice peaceful rain last night.  My camp had the best tree coverage out of the 6 camps. Nonetheless my rain fly was soaked I packed it in plastic to dry later.  Still a fine Pacific Northwest mist in the air so I put my rain cover on my pack. 

















A pleasant hike down to the Carbon River with another suspension bridge. Now the trail follows the river up to the glacier. One of the steepest grades on the Wonderland, of course worth the climb.  


I come to the glacier, it is covered in rocks and soil, very dirty at the point. The river emits from a opening at the foot of the glacier, very impressive. As I hike, I hear the dull semi metal sound of rocks hitting one another and falling of the top on the glacier.  To help me up this climb i fortify myself with Carolyn's pemican rocket fuel. This stuff works so well my legs want to keep moving but my O2 supply can't keep up.  









Once at the top, the trail is out of the deep forest, meadows with many flowers especially prevalent is a small jet blue crocus, they appear in groups and have a stunning impact on the walk. The huckleberries are outstanding on this side of the mountain, plump, sweet, and plentiful.  



Mystic Lake is a small lake nestled between two huge rocky outcrops, very shallow along the edges but looks deep in the middle.  I arrive around 1200 and get my pick of the camps. I select the last one again because of the best tree coverage. The sun is out so I dry my gear then setup camp. Since the sun remains out I decide to day hike past Mystic Lake up towards Rainier's Carbon glacier.  I feast on huckleberries on the way up. 











The trail turns off the Wonderland and heads thru some alpine meadows, filled with lush green low growing heather. I ascend a rocky, sandy incline and finally crest the slope to view the glacier up close.





The views are majestic, I relax and take in the beauty. I hear the rocks falling from the glacier and see the deep crevices. Waterfalls lace down the far wall of rock behind the Carbon and clouds define the ceiling, no view of the mountain. A light drizzle starts so I don my rain jacket. 






I look to the north seeing for a long distance green lush mountains mists moving among then, with clouds above. In the distance a sundog starts to form. As I descend the sundog becomes more intense with all the colors of the rainbow. I snap several pictures hoping I can share its splendor.



Hint of the sundog in the middle of the picture

 





More snacking on huckleberries as I descend the trail has small frogs no bigger than a penny hopping along with me. I have to be very careful of my footfalls so as to not end their lives.













Back at camp I filter some water and hang my food. Into the tent to settle in for the evening. Thunder comes rolling down the mountain flank creating the cozy atmosphere I enjoy for sleeping.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.