Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First day on the Wonderland


The Wonderland Trail, 93 miles of beautiful views of Mt. Rainier.



Longmire to Pyramid Camp
08/21/13
Start time:  1630
End time:  1800
Miles: 3.7
Min alt: 3040
Max alt:  3960
Min temp: 62
Max temp: 78
People met: 16


Arrived at Longmire at 1400 hrs.  I promptly went to the Ranger's station to collect my permit. Ranger Lana was very through and informative. She adjusted my permit so I could hike to the first campsite, Pyramid Camp. This is a pleasant surprise as I was ready to camp at the walkin campsites in Longmire.  I get informed of water points prior to the next two camps. Apparently each camp has a toilet and water from a stream, got to filter or treat it though.  She gave me some pointers on day hikes, so after a long look at the giant Mt Rainer relief map I took my leave.  The preferred method of displaying your permit is from the pack. You are provided with a small, thin wire for attaching it.  I thought perhaps a small carabiner might be more secure.  I found one in the lodge store on a keychain with a tiny water bottle, perfect no weight.  




I check my gear and start the hike at 1540 hrs.  The trail is wide, soft with tree duff and well maintained.  I am so happy to be hiking again,  my pack is lighter this trip because of some small adjustments I recently made in gear, with four days of food it weights in at 28 lbs.  I miss my old Osprey Aether pack it was like a reliable old friend but my new Osprey EXOS is lighter, just have to see how it works out.  
















The forest is beautiful with a high canopy of firs and an undergrowth of ferns.  This warn afternoon I climb mostly uphill but nothing I'm not prepared for.  A small creek runs beside the trail with clean clear water. No sounds but for an occasional song bird and the babbling creek. 












 I arrive at my camp to find 3 sites, a bear pole, and a toilet. The sites are cleared and nicely distanced from each other. I notice one other camp is taken but see no one.  I select a quiet spot and setup camp.  I am happy to get my gear out, it feels natural to setup my tent even though I'm a bit rusty at it.  Time to study my map and read for tomorrow, then a little dinner.  Met my neighbors at the bear pole, a nice couple doing the trail counterclockwise.  We chatted about the campsites and the bugs. I have a bug free hat that seems to be giving me an advantage of keeping the bugs at bay.  Tomorrow another short hike to Devils Dream Camp with more bugs in my future according to my neighbors.  I think I'll hike in the morning to avoid the bugs as much as I can.  The air is humid like the Pacific Northwest and my watch says it is 82 degrees in my tent. Looks like I'll sleep on my bag until it cools down. 




The typical bear proof hanging system provided by the park.  If you look close there is a pole that I used to hang my food bag. 


Testing my new iPhone camara app that triggers with a sharp noise.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.