Friday, August 23, 2013

Devil's Dream to Klapatche Camp

Devil's Dream to Klapatche Camp
08/23/13
Start time:  0700
End time:  1500
Miles: 9.7
Min alt: 3960
Max alt:  6050
Min temp: 62
Max temp: 68
People met:  7


Woke to the soft pattering sounds of a light rain. The air has that wonderful freshness and a cool humidity. I on the trail by 0700 hrs after a nice long slumber. The morning walk is quiet, punctuated now and then with the sweet lilt of a song bird.  I am so pleased with the beautiful conifer forest, so healthy with thin straight trees. The undergrowth is just right hike thru if you wanted, not too thick or high.  Along the way I feast upon huckleberries and salmon berries. These are the best berries I've ever tasted.  














On to Emerald Ridge where I rest a spell enjoying the turquoise blue of the Tahoma Glacier, listening to the rushing waters from the glacier melt and gazing upon the multi colored walls of the next ascent.



Down to the South Puyallop River, a grade filled with rocks acting like ball bearings under my feet. I find I must stay focused on every foot placement or else I'll slip. 




The forest is just a beautiful as the others I've passed through. Really an uplifting walk in all this beauty. The river has a delicious color of mocha coffee. Not getting water here probably just plug up my filter.  4 miles till the top and Kalapache Camp. On the way the forest is deep and cool protecting me from the afternoon sun. I find many more salmon berry bushes and now huckleberries   I continue to enjoy natures bountiful harvest of fresh fruit.  My berry consumption makes the climb so much easier.  



Once at the top the clouds are rolling in.  They silently cruise up the canyons obscuring my view of the surrounding peaks.  The air temp drops so I don my hat and roll down my sleeves.  




St Andrew lake is a very nice swimmable lake and I was thinking of taking a dip until I see it shrouded in clouds. Changed my mind, didn't fell like being bug bait as I froze trying to dry off.  Just a couple of tenths from here and I'm at the camp.  I see Len and Fred have already setup camp, we are happy to great one another and chat a bit.  I find a good site under a tree as the cloud cover in compete here, we are in the clouds and I am afraid my gear may get damp during the night.  Enjoyed my evening meal while chatting with Fred and Len. Off to the rack as I'm tired.  Only 10 miles still I'm tired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.