Thursday, August 22, 2013

Devils Dream & Day Hiking to Pyramid Peak




Pyramid Camp to Devils Dream
08/22/13
Start time:  0730
End time:  0840
Miles: 3.
Min alt: 3960
Max alt:  5300
Min temp: 78
Max temp: 86
People met: 4


Alarm off at 0630 but I just laid in my bag waking slowly.  Packed up my camp in a good amount of time, given I haven't done this in almost a year.  Breakfasted on Carolyn's hi-power pemmican, sure is hot because of the high fat content, I can feel the warmth from the fats immediately.  The forest is cool and quiet with a beautiful fir canopy and lush undergrowth.  I cross a glacial stream, very muddy and fast moving. 








































Then several small clear streams, one if which I gather a liter of water using my new filtration system. The system by Sawyer seems to work just fine and may be better than the UV system I used last year on the PCT.  
















In just over an hour I arrive at Devil's Dream Camp, with 7 empty sites and one occupied by Fred, (77) and Len, (70),  we chat for a while as they are heading to Puyallop and almost done with their hike. I've got an entire day to day hike and be a layabout. Hiking for such a small distance feels so strange compared to my last hike where I needed to hike about 20 miles a day.  I may have over packed food for this hike even though I stocked less, hope I don't get fat.  








Devils Dream outhouse and bear pole

My day hike makes a stop at indian Henry's cabin, a stout log cabin with two shuttered windows and a secured entry door.  A very nice sheltered front porch with a couple of log benches with Fred and Len resting here.  After a pleasant chat I make my way to Mirror Lake thru beautiful lush green fields blushing with mountain flowers.  The hills are alive with the sound of buzzing, plenty of insects to keep any bug eating organism happy.  Mirror Lake is small and not something suitable for swimming, so I move on past the end of the maintained trail sign. 











 














































Mt. Rainier





Little frogs abound in some areas






Pretty soon I spy my destination Pyramid Peak, I nice little peak maybe 2000 feet higher than the lake. There is plenty of fresh stream water filtered by the mountain as I hike.  The trail winds then starts climbing pretty aggressively until only the scree is left with no discernible path to follow.  I pick my way to the top stopping frequently to catch my breath, I pause to reflect as to why I am so out of breath, then I remind myself I live at sea level.  The top is 7060 by my watch and is covered with a soft grass with lots of comfortable sitting spots.  









From my vantage point on Pryamind Peak I have a splendid view of the rolling felt green mountains to the south southwest and of course behind me is the majestic snow capped Mt. Rainier.  A little falcon soars by then returns several times welcoming me as I rest taking in the grand views.  From my resting spot I am able to get a closer look at the mountain's glaciers, huge cracks and layers of rocks.  Occasionally I hear the crashing sound of rock falling in the distance, I suspect the glacier is calving.  As I lay here in the grass admiring the view I begin the become aware of the subtitle nuances of the landscape.  Moss free patches of rock spotted with vibrant green foliage, blue gray rock and scree with the occasional blush of orange.  The glaciers jumbled ice appear blue green at times punctuated with the sound of rushing water.  Quite lovely to have the time to sit and enjoy.  



I leave the summit about 1330 hrs.  Two hours to make my way back to Devil's Dream. I marvel at the alpine meadows flush with flowers and the little streams populated with startled frogs.  

















 I see the ranger that issued my permit, we chat about my afternoon adventure.  As I pass Indian Henry's Cabin I see it has been opened by the ranger, with the shutter latched back and the door open. Back at camp I settle in enjoying my dinner and preparing for tomorrow's hike.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.