Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mystic Lake to Sunrise Camp

08/28/13
Start time:  0644
End time:  1100
Miles: 8.8
Min alt: 
Max alt:  6600
Min temp: 48
Max temp: 65
People met: stopped counting over 50


Woke up to rain, not hard rain but a light rain if the Pacific Northwest. A quick packing and on the trail, rain gear required this morning. The mushrooms are exploding, I see a different one almost every turn. Some if them are as big as a pie, I would like to collect them for food, but I want to be sure before I do so I let them be.  Down to the North Fork White River and around the foot of the Winthrop Glacier.  I am amazed at the debris on the top of the glacier, rocks and soil so much it looks like land. The moist forest has the faint scent of balsam and occasional herbals such as camomile.  


A gradual grade for a 3 miles or so. I rest at the top enjoying views with a mist flowing in. Time to drop the rain gear, rain looks like its over and I'm hot.  





















As I descend, I walk into a cloud, so cooling and freshening. The cloud lifts and I'm in a huge meadow bowl surrounded by rocky volcanic ridges and filled with a mountain heather.  The intense green colors make me smile.  




























































At the intersection I choose the Sunrise trail a destination for many day hikers.  I am meeting more people now than I have the entire trip, so many I just stop counting.  As I descend into Sunrise I see a little healthy pica scamper up a rocky outcrop.  First creature other than chipmunks I've seen.  I keep a sharp eye out for mountain goats, not yet have I seen one.  At Sunrise I gather my food cache and get my phone charged at the visitor center.  I dried my gear in the empty picnic area at the same time.  I must say the rangers in this park are the greatest, they are helpful and friendly all the time.  Probably because they work in such a pretty place.  I am here a day early and request a permit change, waiting to see if it is possible. Yes they issue a new permit allowing me to stay here for two days instead of Mystic. Very happy because I can explore this area tomorrow, plus they have a grill so I can enjoy a beer and a burger.  There is a real bathroom with soap, all the comforts.  Camp is 1.5 miles from the visitor center but even with a pack its an easy walk with great views of glaciers, lakes, and rivers. This is a good place to visit for a family day trip.  What started as a dreary wet day has become a very delightful afternoon.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.