Friday, August 30, 2013

Sunrise Camp to Summerland

08/30/13
Start time:  0714
End time:  1130
Miles:  8
Min alt:  4200
Max alt:  6245
Min temp: 47
Max temp: 69


All night a soft wind blew drying out everything. When I awoke the rain fly was dry, a very good start. No sun in the sky and I can see the clouds dropping as I start to hike.  I pass the little lake adjacent to Sunrise camp, a great blue heron glides silently across the smooth water.  A nice down hill hike for about 3 miles to White River camp. As I arrive a ranger is posting detour signs for the trail.  


The White River trail bridge was washed out last night. I have to walk about .5 mile on the road then cross over a bridge and pickup the trail. Very pleasant as the sun is shinning, I stop for a break on the stone wall of the bridge. As I walk along the angry White River I can hear the dull clash of rocks moving in the churning, swift waters.  As with most of the glacial rivers this one has a mocha appearance. 




















Back on the trail, I am pleased to see a wide, soft, easy graded trail running along side Fryingpan Creek.  A very gentle grade to this trail and I am alone with just the early morning scents of fir, balsam, and herbs with the occasional stop for huckleberries.  The forest is cool and moist, keeping me refreshed as I ascend. As I get closer to the top I get a nice glimpse of Rainier. The clouds today are moving rapidly, leaving big gaps for the sun to shine thru. 










Once at Summerland I pick my spot and setup up camp. My food storage did get damp from hanging in the rain, no damage though just dried everything out and restowed it. Not far away are a couple of fresh streams flowing through a beautiful alpine meadow studded with red blossoms back by a stunning view of Rainer.































I'm sitting on a large flat rock near one of the babbling streams in the south end of this meadow watching the clouds engulf the mountain.  In front of me is the white, blue, pink Frying Pan Glacier and Goat Rock Island, a little mountain on the side of Mt Rainier.  As the sun becomes hidden behind the clouds the temperature drops causing me to add a layer.  I lazily head back to my camp for a bite to eat before retiring. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.