Saturday, August 31, 2013

Summerland to Maple Creek Camp

08/31/13
Start time:  0715
End time:  1407
Miles:  15
Min alt:  2500
Max alt:  5900
Min temp: 45
Max temp: 76


No rain, as a matter of fact clear sky this morning.  The mountain is pink with the sunrise and the blue sky is crystal clear. I'm eager to hike in this splendid weather. 




















I leave the meadow for rock, lots of rock and snow, incredible views as I climb to a plateau I can see Goat Rocks, Mt Adams and Mt Hood, (100 miles away). The ridge at Goat Rocks is clear to me. Last year I stood on that ridge and marveled at Rainer.  I remember feeling so close to home and finishing the PCT when I viewed Rainer. 





































 I keep my eye sharp for goats and elk.  I spy signs of both, little mincing goat tracks and huge elk tracks.  I can occasionally smell the presence of the elk or at least their passing, but alas no animals but a lone marmot.  Into another alpine valley with splendid views of Rainer and the distant South.  A multitude of waterfalls along the flanks of the mountain, all rushing down to join one another in the valley. I refresh myself with the fresh pure water emitting from the rocks.








 As I have a break on a green knoll taking in the bright white mountain I send off one last text to Carolyn letting her know its a great day up here. 







































 Into the forest I go nibbling on huckleberries.  The forest is deep and mountain views are seldom.  Water is scarce on this trail section, I have more than enough and the trail is downhill. The air is still and thick as I hike. I do love the clouded sky and the cool forest for hiking. A bit of a longer hike today as most if it is in the forest. I make it to Maple Creak Camp and get setup, water is nearby.  I enjoy my afternoon meal, then filter probably my last water for the trail.  Tomorrow about 10 miles and the experience is complete. Looking forward to a steak and a beer.  I must say I have enjoyed splendid scenery, endured discouraging rain and feel wonderful for the experience. I already have plans to come back.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.