Monday, August 26, 2013

Mowich Lake to Cataract Camp

08/26/13
Start time:  0700
End time:  1300
Miles: 6.8
Min alt: 4026
Max alt:  6600
Min temp: 54
Max temp: 66
People met: 7


Rainey night, I kept dry and enjoyed the patter of rain. In the morning my tent rain fly was soaked, but it had done its job. My tarp was also very wet and my pants never dried from my washing them yesterday.  I don my rain pants and pack all the wet items in waterproof bags setting out to Spray Park.  First stop was a look at the the canyon from Eagle lookout, this high on a cliff view point gave a nice view of Rainer and the canyon. 



My next visit was the falls which so far were the most splendid. Starting from very high up they cascaded down the bare rock face in a feathery, lacy fashion. Plenty of water in this trip, lots of good sweet water right out of the mountain sources.  The trail winds upwards at a nice grade thru another beautiful forest with huckleberries for snacks.  I'm greeted with the occasional fragrant scent of balsam, such and uplifting scent.  






























I reach the alpine level and am delighted to see some sun coming thru the clouds.  
























Rainier seems to be making her own weather as clouds just appear on this East side. 












The flowers are so colorful, bright reds, yellows, and whites all abound inspiring a big smile. There are little tarns here and there in the green low lying alpine growth.  














After a while I think the sun is going to stay out a while so I stop in a splendid meadow with large rocks which I use to drape my wet gear over.  Within an hour everything is dry including my pants which I happily change into. The views of the eastern canyon walls are green serpentine with pink-brown rock, just beautiful shear rock walls with these beautiful subtle colors. 

































 I am higher now around 6600 feet the growth is much less and there is more rock, with a couple of snow fields to cross. Surprisingly still snow at this time of year.  I must negotiate maybe 600' all totaled. The snow fields are all down hill, but the sun cupping makes schussing a challenge.  














Fresh clean cold water everywhere up here. Back into the forest and huckleberry bushes, the trail descends thousands of feet into the Cataracts camp. I select a quiet spot with good tree coverage way in the back of the camp. There are only 6 sites, I take 6 as I'm the first here. Setup camp and enjoy some tuna sandwich spread, this is a great camping food.  As I explore the camp to collect water I see a small chipmunk rush like a barkin pup a tree. I notice it is a little mother and is carrying a baby in her mouth.  She looks like she has a chipmunk striped little beard.  Hopefully she is more concerned about her young and not my food.  Fearing it will seek out my food I address it with a serious demeanor and promptly hang it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.