Sunday, August 25, 2013

Golden Lakes to Mowich Lake

08/25/13
Start time:  0700
End time:  1130
Miles: 10
Min alt: 
Max alt:  5240
Min temp: 52
Max temp: 68
People met: 7



Woke up last night to see the moon shining in, ahhhh that means the clouds have left.  On the trail by 0700, the air is fresh with an occasional hint of balsam.  Blue sky with thin contrail clouds. 















The forest is verdant green with clean water sparkling from the foliage. The trail is narrow but soft and relatively smooth, downhill for a good 5 miles. So quiet this morning not even a bird singing.  Tall majestic trees with some lichen hanging and interesting mushrooms popping up all long the trail.  I find a sunny slope with cold, fresh washed, delicious huckleberries, I breakfast taking my time, enjoying the bounty.  


At the south Mowich river there are many log bridges to cross the wide river bed. The water looks like a milk shake because of the glacial silt and flowing fast. I climb the bank to find a 8 food wide stream without a bridge. I quickly see a way to cross on rocks, then up the hill doing the last 4 miles to Mowich Lake.  















This trail is a nice grade, I am climbing and have to rest but it is easier than others I have done. Nice little babbling streams offering cold, clear water.  I reach Mowick and collect my food supply, then decide to use the bucket to wash my face and hair, then socks and pants.  Ahhhh much better now. The forecast is for afternoon thunder showers, shelter is ready for that but the sun is hiding behind clouds making my pants drying time a little worrisome. If they don't dry, they'll dry tomorrow when I wear them. Camp here is also a walkin camp, so that means mixed campers and hikers.   Just one 
night then I'm on the trail again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.