Saturday, August 24, 2013

Klapatche Camp to Golden Lakes

08/24/13
Start time:  0730
End time:  1200
Miles: 7.8
Min alt: 3040
Max alt:  5600
Min temp: 51
Max temp: 65
People met: 8


Slept in a cloud all night. 

Thankfully the tree I tucked my tent under kept me dry.  Everything is dripping wet even my food bag, but the contents are dry.  As I am packing up my bungee cord in my tent poles fails at the knot. Takes me about .5 hr to put it back together.  All is fine no break like last year on the PCT.  I start out but stop under some trees to put my pack cover on, as the mist is visible and dripping off everything.  






















I don't think I'll wear my rain gear though, probably get too hot. 2.8 miles downhill what a sweet way to start the day.  I collect salmon berries on the way. The trail is over grown in some places making me wet but not soaked.  At the bottom I find old rock walls left from the 30's when a scenic drive was planned.  Cross a splendid glacial waterfall in a deep gorge, thankful for the wooden bridge. 











Banana slugs here and there


The ascent is not for a while I follow the river thru misty forests with sweet scents from the under growth.  As the trail climbs there are more salmon berries. 









When I reach the top there is a huge clearing with the old bleached leftovers of a fire long ago.  The clearing is filled with mounds of bear grass and low lying brush. Upon closer inspection the lower brush is bearing fruit, huckleberries.  I  am delighted, I drop my pack and enjoy the bountiful harvest of this delicious fruit. There are so many I reach for the big ones leaving the smaller immature fruit.  I am amazed at the amount of food here and keep a lookout for the bears as I think they would be enjoying this too. No bears, but I have a belly full of huckleberries  Now I descend thru a fir grove and enjoy the pleasant Christmas smells they provide.  




 Huckleberries, yum!

 An easy trail to Golden Lakes and I am the first here. Still cloudy, misty no views today. So I check out the campsites and select the oniy one that has tree coverage for dew protection. I setup camp, in short order giving my gear a chance to dry a bit. The forests are beautiful and very consistent, the mist provides  coolness, quietness and relief from bugs




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.