Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sunrise Camp

08/29/13
Start time:  1300
End time:  1500
Miles:  5
Min alt: 6244
Max alt: 6900
Min temp: 48
Max temp: 65
People met: day hiked


Woke up to rain this morning, got up at 0830 for a day hike, rain, got some food and started out.  The mountain tops were in the clouds and it was still raining.  I figured maybe later I'll start out so I just stayed in the rack waiting for the rain to abate until about 1300.  Finally a some sun in tiny bits, still a light rain, decided to day hike, into the clouds I go. 



On the ridge top I m fully engulfed and getting constant rain driving from the side, no views.  I'm thinking this weather is sucking all the fun out if the day.  



































I work my way down to the trail at the Sunrise visitor center thinking its time to quit because the weather is getting worse.  At the lodge I get coffee and eat some of my food.  I meet another hiker who just arrived, he is hiking a day behind me. He's a new hiker and young, first timer really, got soaked and can't dry out. Apparently the rain has been bad one day behind me. His wife is coming to get him and he will graciously give me a ride to Longmire if I want.  I check the weather report and see rain tonight slackening to 30% before 1100 tomorrow looks like just cloudy after that. Ok I'll stick with my hiking plan. At the restroom I use the soap and nice warm hand dryer to clean my handkerchief and bandana.  Enjoyed talking to the other hikers in the lodge, whiling away the day nicely commiserating about our common problems and staying dry.  Good day really.  So back to my tent I read a while and time for sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.