Sunday, July 5, 2015

4th Parade in Lima

  • Day:  57
  • Start:  2159
  • End:  2172
  • Miles:  13
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  88
  • Low temp:  54
  • People met:  0

The Idaho Montana border and the Continental Divide

Someone has a light on, as I gaze outside my tent I realize it's the almost full moon lighting up the forest. 
A short, steep downhill this morning then a 1.5 mile steep climb to a open ridge top along the Idaho Montana border. I follow these empty fence posts between the states for several miles enjoying the open views and the morning fresh air breeze. 

Note the moon is still up





A buck appears with growing antlers, then dashes into the surrounding trees. The vistas are beautiful and the sky is clearing. 

Both states

Soon the fence is gone and I'm on a 6 mile dirt road leading to interstate 15. The forest changes too open rangeland and as I approach I-15 there are cows. 

Montana the town of Lima is out there 


Right in the middle of the road 




I-15 is just beyond those buildings

It's the 4th of July, jeeze the town motel is probably full and the post office is closed till Monday. While standing at the freeway fence I call the local motel, The Mountian View, asking if they could accommodate me even though it's the 4th.  "Yes" is the answer they have 1 room left, plus Mike the owner says "are you at I-15?" My answer is yes, I'm about 20 miles from Lima. Mike says "just hop the fence and wait right there I'll pick you up.  I am so thankful for this information and generosity.  While checking in to my room I look behind the counter to see hiker boxes and mine is right there on top. The local post office realized I may come when they are closed for the long weekend and let Mike pick it up, another blessing. 
Mike informs me the parade is about to start. I walk around to corner to Main Street finding a place to sit.  Here are some fun highlights. 

Leading the procession 




A little guy on a very little 4 wheeler


He's going to be a part too 


Montana style


Very nice all-in-one snow removal vehicle 

The national anthem was sung and everyone placed their hands over their hearts. Yes we love America and are proud to be here. 
You'll notice children picking something up, well just about every vehicle was throwing candy to them.  Really a great, fun parade that I'm greatful to have viewed. As the night turned from deep blue to dark a wonderful fireworks show ensued, punctuated by personal fireworks all around town. 
A truly splendid day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.